Day 27 More Siem Reap


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
August 14th 2015
Published: August 15th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Day 27
Up early and down to a wonderful buffet breakfast. Lesley seems to be on hunger strike, as she's not eaten since yesterday breakfast, but I'm eating for England!

We've booked a cycling tour of the countryside and our guide Kosol was waiting in reception for us at 7.45am. The bikes we had before were just "lady bikes" with a basket in the front. These were full on mountain bikes! I didnt know how to change gear! We headed off from our hotel. The road was a bit busy and I felt like the bike was in control of me instead of the other way around! We soon turned off on to small country roads but, oh my, they bumpy! My bottom took some hammering I can tell you.

The scenery was amazing. Rice fields, water buffalo, vegetable crops. The guide Kosol told us that all crops are organic which they are very proud of. They sell them to local hotels and at the market. We cycled on. It was a slow pace but it was 35 degrees. We heard music and saw a crowd and stopped. It was a funeral. The whole town was attending. We cycled a little bit further and then stopped at a small hut for water. There 2 ladies sat with their children, chickens and dogs. Our guide, Kosol, interpreted, they wanted to know about us and our families. The ladies were shocked that I had only 1 child and asked if it was the government stopping me. One lady had 5 children and came from a family of 12. The other who was 3 years younger than me had 3 but her husband wanted her to have another. We took photos together and laughed and talked. The guide explained that girls were not equal here. Men can go to university or work girls are expected to get married and have a family between 16-22. After that you're seen as old and your parents may arrange a marriage for you.

We cycled on to the local market. Our guide explained that a favourite food for Cambodians is crickets and spiders. I asked if he liked them and he said yes, particularly spiders. I didn't see any at the market but maybe we will try them on the river tour tonight? The market was busy and colourful. We tried a local snack made from rice krok cake it was sweet and stodgy you could only eat one. Kosol then bought a watermelon which we devoured in minutes.

We headed back the same route to the hotel and arrived quicker than I thought. My knees and bottom were done in but I'd enjoyed it and was proud that is cycled 25km.

Costa coffee stop to charge our batteries. It's 50m from our hotel! We then walked into town to get some cash and any other last minute purchases. Lesley bought some lovely hooped gold earrings and I bought a silver ring. I can't buy anything else! Im looking forward to our sunset tour of the Tonle Sap river.

Well, what a crappy start to the eve. The river boat trip people were supposed to pick us up at 3.15. At 3.45 we were still in the hotel reception. We asked the
Concierge to ring them. They got mixed up and thought we'd cancelled. They sent a car for us. That was the good part! The website described an air conditioned bus to pick us up. Transfer to a small version of the Tara boat to show us floating houses, a tour of a crocodile farm and then onto the large Tara boat for cocktails, buffet and watch the sunset. What actually happened was we were picked up in a clapped out non air conditioning car. The small boat was just about sea worthy but Lesley had to move as it listed so much she'd have fallen overboard. The driver was 14 at best. Our guide pointed at the floating houses as we sped passed them. We landed on a jetty where she pointed at a hole. We looked inside and there were 3 small crocs. I was asked if I wanted a snake around my neck I declined. We headed to the large boat. Our boat got stuck for a while in the floating hydrangea. We got there eventually and realised it was a wreck. It listed so badly we couldn't have the teapot on the table as it was falling over. We were brought a meal ( no buffet) that was inedible. We asked to leave. There was no sunset as it was cloudy and we wanted to be off the boat before dark. The highlight of the trip back was a little boy pooing over the side of the boat next to a woman doing her washing in the river!! Back in the car to our hotel the guide has rung her boss and gave us $5 refund each. The tour cost $36!

We decided to put the experience behind us and headed to Pub Street where "It all happens" we found Red Piano restaurant where apparently anhelin a Joliet frequented whilst making tomb raider. Chocolate pancake and gin and tonic later we were happy as Larry! Quick coffee at costa on the way back to the hotel. Then Terry, from easy riders Skyped us to wish us well on our travels which was nice.

It's been an eventful but great last day. Lesley has been a great travelling companion. I'm not looking forward to the 24 hours travelling tomorrow but can't wait to see my family.


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0347s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb