Siem Reap


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
July 25th 2015
Published: July 30th 2015
Edit Blog Post

The drive from Battambang to Siem Reap seemed too easy. The bus was medium sized with all of the back area empty. Agus and I took advantage of all the spare seats for playing.

Driving in to Siem Reap we couldn't help but notice the massive 5 star resorts, then came the American coffee and food chain stores. We also noticed the travellers here were different, very clean cut. I guess some travellers only fly in to see the temples then fly out.

Our tuk tuk driver from Phnom Penh had called his friend in Siem Reap to pick us up from the bus stop. We really love this because when the bus arrives in a new town with new tourists its gets mobbed by tuk tuk and motor bike riders. The best way to explain it, if you haven't experienced it, is like paparazzi crowding the car of a celebrity to get the best shot.

Our hotel was a little bit out of the town centre which turned out to be a great decision. This was actually our best hotel experience in both country's.

Because we were out of town our lowset hotel had room for a generous pool, lush gardens in front and behind the rooms, a balcony, mega bed and huge bath, not to mention the enormous breakfast. The kids favourite part was the pebble border around the shower, Agus drove cars and helicopters through it and Elsie would squeal with delight and throw it around the room, while attempting to munch on a pebble or two. I'm not sure of the hygienic nature of a pebble border/drain, but try as I might I could not keep the kids out (though Els did give up eating them)!

The other bonus that comes with an out of town hotel is a free tuk tuk service. Suddenly our eating, coffee and shopping options expanded beyond our usual walk around and see what looks good. Logging into the free wifi we could look up a place, check out reviews, show our driver, he'd study the map, generally say "ok, no problem", hand us a mobile phone, lift Agus into his seat, kiss the baby and take us wherever we felt like. Returning to get us whenever we phoned, or waiting if we needed. It was quite a different and somewhat decadent way to do things.

But the real reason we'd come to Siem reap was the temples. We arranged a driver to do 2 full days of temples, starting in the outer temples and saving Angkor Wat for last.




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 38; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb