Cambodia!!


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
May 11th 2015
Published: May 11th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Entry to Cambodia was exciting!! We had a later flight in that landed during a huge thunderstorm. I'm not normally a nervous flyer but that landing shook us up!! Just when we thought we were through the worst we then had to take a tuk tuk to our hotel in a torrential rain storm. The road in Cambodia are not the best and mostly dirt. (Google Cambodian Tuk Tuk) not the safest vehicle. Thankfully we made it 😊

The first day we spent relaxing and catching up on some much needed sleep. Then we had our first day at Angkor Wat!!! A Hindu/Buddhist temple built in the 12 century. This place is big!! It is one of the largest man made structures in the world is currently larger than modern day Paris. We spent the first day exploring Angkor Wat and Angkor Thom. This morning we woke up at 4:30 to catch the sunrise over Angkor Wat. It was so beautiful!! Then we went to!some of the northern temples (I can't remember the name and I don't have my book near by) they were all so spectacular! There are two large resevoirs the East Baray and the West Baray they are the largest hand dug reservoirs in the world measuring 2km by 8km. The east is currently dry but the west Baray is still full. Tourism is what keeps this area going. We over heard one of the guides saying that during the busy season 3,000 people will show up for sunrise over Angkor. During the day it is very busy!! So many tourists! But yesterday we lucked out, after watching the sunrise we went to one of the temples (where they filmed time movie Tomb Raider) and we had beat the crowds!! It was a little creepy to walk around with no one else there but we loved it!

The town of Siem Reap is very nice. Lots of people selling tee shirts and western food.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0466s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb