Cambodia..a hot happening place


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
March 8th 2013
Published: March 15th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Today is actually our last morning (Saturday, March 9) in Siem Reap, Cambodia. Our three nights here were early ones because of the long hot days exploring Angkor Wat. But more on that later.

Last I left we were preparing for our day of ziplining and oh what a day! Despite our tremultous drive(r) up through the switchbacks of the Thai Jungle, the day was thrilling. It was 3 hours of an ziplining course, complete with 33 ziplines (one spanning 300m), 3 abseils (falling straight down with your guides controlling the rope), spriral staircase ( I LOVE these), suspension bridges, etc. A great excursion and way to see more of Thailand. That night we enjoyed a 2 hour thai massage. This was also wonderful, and quite amusing since Matt's Masseuse got the hiccups about an hour into the massage.

On March 6th we flew to Siem Reap via Bangkok, where the landing was not kind to me and I spend most of the time in the airport recovering. By the time we landed in Siem Reap I felt much better but woo wee, I was feeling the heat. Its dry season in SE Asia, but its also hot season, reaching 95 or so here in Cambodia. Needless to say, we drank lots of water.

We had arranged a driver who picked us up at the airport, took us to the hotel and then off to see Sunset at Angkor Wat Temple. Now this is just one of 14+ temples in the Angkor Wat complex, and the biggest one. We had a chance to walk around just a bit and then picked a platform to enjoy the show. Once the sun set it was like closing time at Disneyland with floods of people walking out to head home.

The following two days were filled with..temples! Most were built during the 9-12th century by the Cambodian Kings, or their slaves and elephants I should say. Some temples were for themselves to live and other for their family members. Some were build with care and others quickly because a dying king wanted to live it in before he died. Therefore, these temples are more delabidated. These grand structures are covered in bass reliefs and grow quite tall..with steep steps at times. I had the most fun climbing and taking pictures..in the shade.

As I mentiioned these temples are all falling apart to different degrees. When they were rediscovered around 1913 major efforts were performed to disassemble the pieces and rennovate and reassamble them, oftening recreating a cement foundation. If you don't know much about Angkor Wat, like me a few days ago, its worth a look (but in cooler November/December). Its more interesting if you consider that it was built around the same time as Notre Dame.

I forgot to mention that yesterday morning we got up early to watch sunrise at Angkor Wat. The sun was finally coming up and over the 5 towers and when it finally exposed itself a man in front of us asked his girlfriend to rise as he got to one knee and proposed. It was pretty neat..AND I just happened to be videotaping and will email it to him when I get back. What a great way to start the day.

Last night we decided to pack it in early, at least from the temples, and instead walking around the buzzing Pub Street. It didn't feel like we were in the same town! Neon lights and packed restaurants. It was nice to see the contrast. Cambodia is really trying to recover from its violet past (leaders) and change its name. It has a long way to go, but I look forward to their prosperous future.

Today we are taking a cab to the Thai border and from there a train to Bangkok. We have 2 nights in Bangkok and 3 in Phuket. We are excited for these cities but looking forward to coming back to the states. (I'm not sure I'll have time/capabilities of blogging again until I get back.)


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

my special outfitmy special outfit
my special outfit

I had to buy pants and wear matt's shirt to get into some areas..extra hot!


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0343s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb