Day 4 - Phnom Penh to Siem Reap


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
December 5th 2012
Published: December 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We had only one day in Phnom and after an early start today we were heading off to Siem Reap on the new bus service by Giant Ibis. Our bus departed at 8.45 and a hotel pickup was included in the price of the bus ticket. We had been informed that we would be picked up between 7.45 and 8.30. This turned out to be closer to 8.55, so regardless to say our bus did not leave on time. There is nothing else though to complain about with the Giant Ibis service. The buses are comfortable with heaps of leg room even for very tall people I presume. Also included in the price of the ticket were a fresh croissant, a bottle of water and a cool moistened towelette provided after lunch. All for the grand price of $13.00. Giant Ibis will be expanding their route to include Phnom Penh to Kampot in the near future. The trip passes quickly when you get bored of the beautiful countryside of Cambodia and can avail yourself of the free wi-fi that is available abouthalf the journey from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap. Lunch was at a small bus stop restaurant in Kampong Thom province with simple fare like fried rice or for the more adventurous western food. All prepared fresh and served so the passengers on the bus can be gone within 30 minutes….all very efficient and the food is not half bad. Well the fried rice was good! We were pleased to see a tuk-tuk driver with our name on it waiting at the bus station as it is quite a scrumwith the drivers vying to get a lift from the few passengers who have not arranged for their accommodation to pick them up. Our guesthouse 7 Candles is very, very comfortable and the staff are so very friendly. We are really looking forward to our stay here and as it is also involved with the PLF it makes it all the more special. We decided to book our temple tours with them and for the next 3 days have a car and guide to take us around. It all sounds very luxurious but it is our big expense of this holiday. We decide to take a recommendation from the list of eateries left in our room and head off to find the local BBQ place near our guesthouse. It is reported to be the best BBQ in Siem Reap. We were not disppointed by the food and had BBQ Beef in red ant sauce and BBQ squid. Both were delicious. People in Cambodia have been very friendly and here in Siem Reap it is no different. We have seen a lot of poverty but people are always smiling and happy.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.083s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb