Building the Kitchen @ The Little Blue House


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
March 12th 2011
Published: March 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

After being there a couple of days we started to identify some critical areas where they needed help. The floor of the upstairs sleeping area was rotting out. There were 12" holes on the floor and the cross beams had termite damage. Also the kitchen was at ground level. During rainy season the kitchen would be under 4' of water for 1-2 months.

Syd and I had met some backpackers from Denmark and one had a building background. They looked at the floor and the kitchen and drew up a plan. They agreed to organize everything if we would pay for it. The idea was to build a simple brick platform 6' off the ground to elevate the kitchen. Then to replace the cross beams and flooring for the main house.

The project quickly took on a life of it's own. Once the materials were delivered about a dozen men came to help. Syd and I only had 2 days left before we had to leave....but we saw a great deal of progress in those 2 days. We were told that about a week later the kichen was complete and the beams and flooring had been replaced.

It
Paying the billPaying the billPaying the bill

The bill came in less than they quoted us. I questioned it and they just laughed and said if I wanted to pay extra....they would like that.
was mind numbing to see how easy it is to make an impact on the lives of these kids. We take so much for granted. Our days at the little blue house will forever hold a special place in our hearts.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Helping handsHelping hands
Helping hands

Many people from the town showed up to help once the materials were delivered.
FoundationFoundation
Foundation

The bricks were laid and then they filled it in with dirt.


Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb