Phnom Penh


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
December 9th 2011
Published: December 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

After our trip to the Mekong Delta we booked ourselves a bus to Phnom Penh, Cambodia!!!! The bus trip was smooth for once, even the border crossing was painless. We made ourselves a new friend from California, Brad (he doesnt actually look like a blonde surfer or lifeguard byt he must be one of the first men we have seen in ages who is taller than Hiral).

We checked into the Mad Monkey, which is basically a hostel above a bar/restuarant- result!! The staff were the cutest ever, 'Hello lovelies, you so pretty'. The place was owned by three british guys, all of which thought they were the pimp daddies!!!

We were only there for 1 full day so we got ourselves a tuk tuk (oh how we missed them) and were driven around the city. We stopped off at the killing fields and the S21 museum. Both were really interesting but very very sad. The killing fields especially were pretty awful. They have mass graves and human remains scattered around the fields. They also built a massive building where they store all the human skulls and bones. It almost doesnt look real. Whilst walking around you are given an audio guide where you get to hear some of the survivor stories. Im glad we did it but it definetly left us feeling low.From there we went to the S21 museum which is the old prison. The cells were either brick or wooden and the so so small. Again not fun but a sad part of Cambodian history.

After the doom and gloom we got a ride back to the Mad Monkey and ventured out for some ice cream and a pick me up. We spent the evening at the Mad Monkey (the food was amazing and parasite free) and had ourselves a bottle of wine. That set us up for a good night sleep for the next day was a 5 hour bus trip to Siem Reap...

M x

Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0497s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb