Cambodia - Part 2


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
February 1st 2011
Published: February 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Cambodia - Angkor Wat and other temples


We arrived in Siem Reap after an exciting overnight bus journey which stopped at every opportunity and Tory had her sick bag on standby - but we made it at 6am to be greeted by a rugby scrum of taxi drivers. We finally made it to our very nice guest house (Bun Kao) run by a very nice old gent who also runs community projects. We spent the first day sleeping and getting our bearings, Siem Reap as it turns out is a lovely city.

Temples Day 1: We hired a tuk tuk for the day between us, Ben and Kate. First day we decided to see sunrise at Angkor Wat (us and every other tourist in the south east asian area!). After sunrise (post a very strong local coffee) we explored Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom, Ta Phrom (of Tomb Raider fame) and Ta Kao. The heat and the early start saw our energy depleated and we headed home before sunset.

Temples Day 2: We headed out to the Roluos group (the earliest temples), Tory wilted mid day and went home for a nap while we went on to Ta Som, Preak Kahn (huge with a massive moat and a nun). Tory met us again outside this temple after an unexpected 30min motor bike ride looking slightly wind swept! We then went to Bayon, the temple with the 216 faces before heading back before getting mobbed by the Chinese new year tourists.

Temples Day 3: We went out on this day to the outer temples and as such spent most of the day in a tuk tuk. We first hiked up to Kbel Spean, a river and waterfall that has had Hindu and Buddhist images carved into the rocks. Next onto Banteay Srei and then Beang Mealea, this one was ace, a huge temple that was not restored and still had the jungle in and around it.




Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 14; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0666s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb