Wat can you say ...


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
January 9th 2010
Published: January 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

China borderChina borderChina border

From Lao Cai, Vietnam
Hi all,
below is a blog from a week ago - we didn't get to send it before we lobbed on to our deserted island. An update is at the end.

Just time for a quick blog before tucking in for the night.

We are currently in Siem Reap, stopping point for Angkor Wat in central Cambodia. We have been here for four days, and tomorrow morning catch a bus to Kompong Cham on the Mekhong River (eastern Cambodia), and where we hope to steal silently up on an unsuspecting victim and murmur: "Mr and Mrs Chaffer-Williams, we presume?" (Steven and Julie are our friends from up the road in Tasmania).

The town of Siem Reap has been enjoyable after the busy-ness of Hanoi. The flight from Hanoi to SR was a taste of how flying used to be, and the kids enoyed the free lemonades. In Hanoi, we took time to pay our respects to the small and preserved figure of Ho Chi Minh, along with a long line of respectful Vietnamese - this (for Karin at least) makes the full card of preserved communist heroes (Mao, Lenin and Uncle Ho). Also, we saw the water puppets (very enjoyable), and drank more coffee.

Arriving in Siem Reap, we were chauffered to our hotel on motorised tuk-tuks, having read our name on a card held up by the driver - this has never happened before!

And so to Angkor Wat, and the various other temples that abound in this area. AW is mighty, gigantic in scale, and rightly one of the 7 Wonders. Some of the other smaller temples were however equally as impressive, and we were better able to comprehend the complexity and subtlety. Journeyed around the area via tuk-tuk ("Bags the back seat!"), and Gabe had a rest at one point with the driver whilst we laboured on.

Lots of tourists, but the site can handle it. 'Twas a long day but the kids really enjoyed it.

Visited a silk-worm farm just out of SR - brought back memories of many disastrous and ultimately tragic attempts at raising silk-worms by a young Mik in Sydney. Our guide patiently explained the growth cycle of the worm, the process of extracting the silk threads, at the end of which Dom issued forth with: "Ï don't get it.", and Gabe, after finding out how many coccoons are needed, let fly with:"That sure is alot of raccoons." The extraction techniques are ancient but amazing, and we learned how the material is woven - luckily it is done mostly by women as I'm sure guys would muck it all up.

We've all been indulging in mango and papaya (mostly Karin) shakes, and we also found a street-vendor who makes flakey pastry banana and chocolate pancakes. Tonight we immersed our feet in a bath filled with voracious two-inch river fish, which suck and nibble away at the skin - ticklish and very funny.

Looking forward to meeting Steven and Julie, seeing the Mekhong, and then heading south for an island sojourn.

Tally-ho!
Eastons.

Happy Birthdays to:
Zoe
Miranda (For December)

Hi,
we're now in Kampot, on the south coast of Cambodia, heading home.

We've spent the last six days on a bungalow-clad beach, lazing in hammocks, sipping mango shakes and playing games with the Chaffer-Williams.

Everyone had a great time (thanks Kylie for the tip), and we are as relaxed as we are going to get. Did some snorkeling and lots of swimming, interrupted by the odd meal.

It's hot, and we're about to watch the sun set over the river here in Kampot.

Tomorrow we head towards Vietnam, and will arrive in Ho Chi Minh on 19 January, to fly home on 20th. Ariane wants to stay in a slap-dash place in HCM for our last night.

So this is our last blog.

Toodle-loo,
Eastons




Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Mekhong RoverMekhong Rover
Mekhong Rover

Annual bamboo bridge over the river
Spider boy ...Spider boy ...
Spider boy ...

... pick one for lunch.


Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0344s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb