Floating Village


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
December 10th 2008
Published: December 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Floating Village is not far from Seim Reap. The village moves through out the year and it only 5k from Seim Reap during the rainy season from the start of Nov to march. The trip by boat around the area is $20. The best time to go is early morning before the tour groups take over. Individual travellers outside the tour groups will get to leave on a boat as soon as they arrive regardless of how many are on it. Our boat left as soon as we sat down.
The trip was a facinsating insight into a way of life for generations of Cambodians. I found it amazing the community spirit amongst everyone and the way the have adapted to mordern culutre within their surroundings. A church, a basketball court, a school, a resturant, a museum and a gift shop are all sights you wouldn't expect to see. The museum is only a small room, but it shows many of the exotic fish that live in the water and the elaborate fishing traps that they use. Some of the traps are miles long and the small scale models that demostrate them, show how ingenuis they are. A lot of people would have the impression that these villages must be simple as they led a simple life, but I really respect them. The way they have kept their lifestyle and adpated to their enviroment is superb. They have also kept up with the mordern world with televisions and the like.
Overall I was very impressed and I would recomend a visit to give you a break from all the temples.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Floating Village 3Floating Village 3
Floating Village 3

I dont want anyone sneaking home early now from school
Floating Village 4Floating Village 4
Floating Village 4

A basketball court on a boat
Floating Village 7Floating Village 7
Floating Village 7

who wants to go to church?


Tot: 0.223s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 55; dbt: 0.191s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb