Siem Reap - in pictures


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
January 16th 2008
Published: February 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Amazingly, there is more to Siem Reap than simply its proximity to the Angkor ruins, although that fact is driving its extraordinary expansion. This town must have more brand new hotels per square inch, particularly (thankfully) on the outskirts, than anywhere else I've ever visited. To put this in context, there's a banner over the main road out of town towards the Angkor area thanking the two million tourists who visited Cambodia last year - i.e., the equivalent of 13% of the country's population - and I'm willing to bet that 99.99% of them came to Siem Reap.

This also explains the town's great selection of bars - most notably, the iconic Angkor What? bar - as well as a profusion of coffee shops, restaurants and markets.

Yet despite this mass catering to the tourist trade, the centre of town remains charming and delightfully picturesque, with the river running through, the trees on either side twinkling with fairy lights at night-time.

So here's a taster of the rest of the town....

... and a few more Angkor shots as I know you didn't have enough in the last blog!


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



1st February 2008

Keep it coming Elizabeth. This is how I'm learning about these places at present! As ever, stay safe and enjoyx Jen

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0519s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb