Cambodia at Work & Play


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
November 16th 2007
Published: November 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Siem Reap Day 2
We’re off for a full day’s touring today in high heat, humidity, and gleeful enthusiasm. Our tour group is reduced by half (with concerns about the rigor of the day). A short bus ride brings us to the South Gate of Angkor Thom, built by Cambodia’s greatest builder, JayavarmanVII. This ten square kilometer city is enclosed by an eight-meter high wall and encircled by a one hundred meter moat said to have been inhabited by fierce crocodiles to protect against invasion. We enter a smaller vehicle to arrive at the Bayon, located in the geographical heart of Anghor Thom. Originally a fifty-four tower temple, thirty-seven of these amazing structures are still standing, each with an enigmatic, smiling Buddha facing the four compass points of each tower. I’m feeling very comfortable in such smiling company! We end our tour here with amazing memories of the Terrace of the Elephants (though not riding one today), a façade of elephants and their riders depicted in profile as they hunt and fight together.

Returning to the hotel for a quick refresh and then off to a buffet luncheon of native cuisine (including Vietnamese, Korean and Japanese foods, as well). It’s
Angkor ThomAngkor ThomAngkor Thom

254 + 2 Smiling Buddha
interesting that among the cuisines and national identities (i.e. flags) we’ve observed throughout the trip none are American. Nevertheless, except for Japan the major currency requested in commerce has been US dollars! We’ve made a good decision to tour with Canadians.

The afternoon is a study in contrasts as we take a boat ride on the large Tonie Sap Lake. Vietnamese floating villages include homes, schools, churches, and fish farms. The life style is incredibly primitive and absent of basic sanitation, health care, and electricity (the privileged among these people have a battery-powered black and white tv). Nevertheless, the people seem content except for incessant use of children to beg from we wealthy tourists. We are truly grateful for our blessings.

Our evening is exceptional! We dine with new Canadian friends, (he born in Germany, she in Egypt) who are world traveled, interesting, and kindred spirits, at the colonial Raffel’s Hotel Cambodian dining room. We thoroughly enjoyed a traditional five-course gourmet meal.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

The Elephant WallThe Elephant Wall
The Elephant Wall

Doug is captivated!
Floating VillageFloating Village
Floating Village

One of the few palatial floating houses...
For Sale?For Sale?
For Sale?

Not at any price, thank you!
School Day on the WaterSchool Day on the Water
School Day on the Water

All the children assemble by boat!


Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0739s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb