Cambodia: Phnom Penh & Siem Reap


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
January 6th 2007
Published: February 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


The first stop in Cambodia was in Phnom Penh, the capital city. I only spent 1 1/2 day, time to organize the bus trip to Siem Reap. I met up with Marcel, and that was nice to see a known face. Marcel is travelling throughout Asia as well, and we swapped stories for the evening, having a few drinks. Nice and relaxing. The next day, we visited the National Museum, and one of the jail used under Pol Pot's regime. It was not long ago... 1975-1979. Difficult to imagine the atrocities that took place at the time and that is so close to us time-wise.

The bus ride from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap took 6 hours, with some stops to let the cows cross the roads - that was really funny to watch.

Siem Reap is the starting point/city to explore the temples of Angkor. Each temple (and there are many of them), was built by a specific king between 880 and 1220.

I visited Angkor Wat, the most famous, and biggest one, Ta-Prohm (covered by trees), The Bayon Temple, and Banteay Srei (magnificent carvings).

Cambodia is the last stop of my South East Asia trip. After that, I am back in Bangkok for a few days, before flying to AUSTRALIA :-))


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0331s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb