The best for last? Angkor Wat


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap » Knar
February 16th 2012
Published: March 13th 2012
Edit Blog Post

So after attempting to save the best for last it was now time to check out the temple of all South East Asian Temples; Angkor Wat. At almost 1 square kilometre, it sure is spectacular in it's grandeur and you can see why it's such a proud emblem of Cambodia. However, it's also a tourist stampede. The challenge becomes trying to take that picture of a lonely ancient temple between one drove of people and the next.

Adam's pick of the bunch was Ta Prohm, which he dubbed as perhaps even more spectacular than Angkor Wat. Unlike Angkor Wat, there's been an intentional effort to leave it in a semi state of neglect. Cotton trees stand high on tops of the temple, the giant roots entangled in the walls threatening to suffocate the temple itself. It is more touristy than Beng Meale (Ash's pick). But if you don't have a half a day to drive to Beng Meale, it is a good substitute. A further favorite was Angkor Thom, a walled and moated royal city that spans around 3 square kilometers. The temple in the centre was amazing with massive faces carved into the spires and on the 4 wall gates.

The Scrubba wash bag once again got a work out scrubbing away the ancient temple dust. It was then off for some BBQ Khmer food (the squid was to die for) and farwell some great friends. Tomorrow we head to Laos.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0399s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb