On the road again...


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
August 8th 2006
Published: August 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hello all!!

Well we've left Vietnam.
We ended up staying and relaxing in Nhatrang for a couple of days around this very nice pool and swimming endlesly and drinking diet coke! Than we took a night bus (shocking!) to Saigon...aka....Ho Chi Min City! Another big city with massive amounts of motorbikes! Shawna was really sick for a couple of days so I headed off to the Cu Chi tunnels to explore a crazy underground network built during the Vietnamese war 5km from the American base!! Really crazy and you could pay a couple of bucks to shoot some guns or even a machine gun but I opted out! The tunnels were crazy hot and small and I was only down under for 5 minutes or so and these people lived under there! No wonder they won ...the Americans got stuck in their tunnels and walked right into their boobytraps!! Walked around the city and the next day we head off to Cambodia! All day on the bus including a torturous stop at the border where about 1000000 Vietnamese budded and got preference over all whities so at the end it was just a bunch of white people standing around for a couple of hours...the first guy got through and we all clapped for him!!!
We arrived in Phom Penh and the locals got off somewhere random and the whities were all scared we were getting dropped off here too but we kept going and it was surprisingly a nice city. Really well kept (for the most part) We really enjoyed walking around and seeing the huge palace that was emaculate but the down side was seeing the killing fields where in the late 70's they killed 2 million Cambodians including kids and woman and everyone they wanted to basically. They have mass graves where they were killed and thrown in together and then to top off the depressing tour we stopped at the S-21 genocide museum. An old school they turned into a torture facility and jail and gave me the hibby jibies!!
But on a positive note we stayed lakeside at this really nice guesthouse and the sunset was really gorgeous!
On the road again with people we met in Vietnam we head off for Seim Reap where Angkor temple is. One of the seven world wonders!! We got here today and this evening we took a relaxing tuk tuk out to see the sunset but not much of one! (it was raining and there was alot of people) So here we are now and were about to go enjoy Cambodian food again (so good)
Sorry its short and there's no detail but I have no time!! Tomorrow we're off to bike 1000km around the temples!!
(oh and getting off the bus today we were mallled by tuk tuk drivers and hotel people...literally sandwiching you and yelling at you to go with them!! ahhhh.....it was so brutal.....felt like Julia Roberts for a minute ..in a bad way)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0233s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb