Temple Time!!


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
July 16th 2006
Published: July 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Slight cloud cover...Slight cloud cover...Slight cloud cover...

but so 'Wat'??
Yes!!! the day had finally come to immerse ourselves completely in ancient and revered rock and rubble...the time to crawl out of bed at 4am..the time to realise that because the day is breaking behind the cover of very slight cloud we won't see the epic 'sunrise over Angkor'...but also a time to realise that 10 minutes after sunrise is also a pretty beautiful time to be around...and a time for jumping on that 'sunrise' bandwagon to pass...

so..on with the day!! began by recording a 'happy birthday Kips' video in front of Angkor which everyone around the peaceful (before we got there..) lake thought was hilarious...a little white girl talking and blowing kisses to a camera at 6am...Angkor draws all sorts obviously...

And then we set off..this time as a four...Me, Ruth, Domi and Davin, Ruth's friend from last time that is now working as a tour guide in Siem Reap and who wowed us throughout the day not only with his temple expertise but also his penchant for serenading us with Khmer love ballads ('Take me to your heart!' and 'Hold me for a while' being favourites).

So..again...no long descriptions but between me stopping in every
MirrorMirrorMirror

Angkor Wat
T-shirt shop (i bought a record 5 of the amazingly kitch yet functional Ts/Vests) we visited Angkor (yeah, we heard you!), walked around Angkor Thom (the Old City), Ta Prohm (and it is here that I found my kindred spirit that is the babe Lara Croft emerging...alongside getting shat on by a bird whilst posing as afore mentioned icon...and thanks to my instinct to shriek at these kinds of events, EVERYONE saw! ohhh...good luck i guess!), Bayon (with the many many serene and slightly eery faces), the elephant terrace and the Leper King's Terrace...as well as short soujourns off to secret little temples and areas that Davin had kept especially for us...there were so many times it was just us around and it was so easy to slip off into day dreams of 'back in the day'...

xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Falling!!!Falling!!!
Falling!!!

Angkor Wat
Headless BuddhaHeadless Buddha
Headless Buddha

Looting at Angkor Wat
Churning of the Ocean MilkChurning of the Ocean Milk
Churning of the Ocean Milk

Bas-relief at Angkor Wat
BoyBoy
Boy

Angkor Wat
The GateThe Gate
The Gate

Angkor Thom
GatekeepersGatekeepers
Gatekeepers

Angkor Thom
Entrance to Ta ProhmEntrance to Ta Prohm
Entrance to Ta Prohm

let the games begin!
explorers let looseexplorers let loose
explorers let loose

another tasteful photo


Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0519s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb