Cambodia - I say, More Wats of Ankor than you can poke a wooden leg at, what?


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
August 1st 2006
Published: July 31st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Reflections of Angkor WattReflections of Angkor WattReflections of Angkor Watt

just after sunrise. Not bad i suppose
This is just a short one (full Thailand one to come soon you lucky people) as we did a little side trip to Cambodia with Beckys sis and Benny boy to the largest religious monument and highest concentration of temples (I may have made this bit up) in the world. The Temples of Angkor.

Basically there were hundreds of amazing huge temples all round the place, built by the Khymer from 8th Century AD for Buddist, Hindu and local gods. Which they somehow "lost" for a few hundred years and then found again. I think they were behind the sofa but its always where you look last - but then thats because you stop looking after that.

Anyway they were so impressive - especially some of the really atmospheric temples which are left in their unrepaired state (they filmed Tomb Raider at one of then) with the knarly old roots of huge trees breaking up the stone.

Also the overriding feelings of our briif sojourn to Cambodia was poverty of the country, with tiny little kids surrounding us with the line "Hey mister (even to Becky) you wanna buy my postcards?" Now postcards can be substituted with any goods of varying usefulness, from Lonely planets to flutes and crossbows. Also the lack of the "Older" generation who mainly got wiped out by that bastard dictator Pol Pott. Those older ones that were around seemed to be missing a variety of limbs, mainly legs, from the landmines many of which are still "out there". I felt so bad sitting there whilst they played there pretty crap cambodian music then donating some nominal amount of local currency. Us lot get it so easy, really.

Rick

Becky here, just have to add one amusing anecdote: Belinda and I went to the local market to get some fake Burberry, gas lighters for a pound etc, leaving Rick and Ben to do manly stuff and play pool. When we got back, we found the poor little lambs surrounded by ladies whose affections come at a price. They looked like rabbits caught in headlights as these Camdodian women got a bit too close, touched their asses and so forth. Not sure if all of them were even real ladies as one bloke in the bar / rampant pick up joint was clearly with a ladyboy. Nice! I wondered where Rick had been sneaking off to late at night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Sisters at sunsetSisters at sunset
Sisters at sunset

plus where's Wally
More Phnom BekhengMore Phnom Bekheng
More Phnom Bekheng

Steep steps!
Bridge to South GateBridge to South Gate
Bridge to South Gate

Lots of statues of gods and demons, all holding a big snake (naga). The similarity with the "Churning of the Milk" in Angkor Watt itself is obvious, apparently!
South Gate to BayonSouth Gate to Bayon
South Gate to Bayon

Lots of faces (they bear a resemblance to the king at the time, funnily enough)
Off to see some more templeOff to see some more temple
Off to see some more temple

You getting bored yet?
Lots and lots of facesLots and lots of faces
Lots and lots of faces

Aparently there are about 40 towers and faces. Facinating
Tomb Raider Temple - Ta PhromTomb Raider Temple - Ta Phrom
Tomb Raider Temple - Ta Phrom

This temple has been left in the state in which all the temples were when they were found. Amazing to see nature taking over - this was our fave temple.
Ta Phrom againTa Phrom again
Ta Phrom again

It really was quite overgrown by humungous trees!
Another arty oneAnother arty one
Another arty one

From an ancient landing platform, looking over a lake that was their water supply to yes, you guessed it, more temples!
Sunrise overlooking Mt MeruSunrise overlooking Mt Meru
Sunrise overlooking Mt Meru

Up in a ballon. We were up at 4.30am, phew but it was worth it!
Walking to Angkor WattWalking to Angkor Watt
Walking to Angkor Watt

at 7am am. What were we doing? Avoiding all the tourists as we had the place to oursleves. Amazing
Watt againWatt again
Watt again

what a beauty
Dodgy guy with dodgy hatDodgy guy with dodgy hat
Dodgy guy with dodgy hat

Borrowed it from some locals. Then climbed up those very steep steps behind. Knackered
The view out of Angkor WattThe view out of Angkor Watt
The view out of Angkor Watt

at the top of those bugger steps


31st July 2006

WOWWWWWW!!! I wanna be there! miss u and loves ya both! take care xxx
1st August 2006

Keep it real
Keep it real
1st August 2006

Lovely Angkor Watt
I just wanted to relay how fond I am of Ankor Watt. Having learnt about it in a Geography lesson at about the age of 12, and scored an 'A' in my report on the temple, it then became the subject of most every open question I answered in Geography exams until the age of 18. I suppose it's not surprising that the exact same answer 6 years later only scored me an A-Level 'D'. C'est la vie.
2nd August 2006

Tomb Raider
Great pics of Lara land! Good to see you are both still having fun! Can't think of anything inspirational to say as I'm at work! Enjoy! Dazza

Tot: 0.245s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 42; qc: 110; dbt: 0.1689s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb