The Great Angkor


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
April 18th 2006
Published: July 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Sun Set at BakhengSun Set at BakhengSun Set at Bakheng

Peoples waiting for sun set
I have witnessed the passed glorious of Khmer, I also have witnessed the poor Khmer today. On 13 April 06, all of us 6 together (Ah look, Siang, Vinuman, Kok Keong and Yuet Choo) went to Siem Reap & one of the great ancient city in the world - Angkor Wat.

13 April 06

We reached Siem Reap international air port at around 11:15am. After checked in, we took the French baguette with Combodian style (French bread with pork) at the road side stall. Then loitering at Old Market. The Old Market was crowded as the next day was Khmer’s New Year.

The street traffic was mess (as no divider) and dusty. There were many kid beggars on the street.

It was a very hot day, hence we heading to a restaurant and took a fresh pineapple and mango shakes. (must try cost only 2000R per glass)

Afternoon we were heading to Phnom Bakheng for catching the sun set. But before that, we got to buy a ticket. USD20 for 1 day, USD40 for 3 days and USD60 for 6 days. We bought 3 days ticket. (After 5pm, it was allowed to use 3 days ticket
We are at Bakheng We are at Bakheng We are at Bakheng

We are at Bakheng finally...
to the Angkor)

To get to the Phnom Bakheng which sitting on the hill, we got to climb a steep and dangerous hill slope which took around 20 minutes. The temple which was badly damaged was built by Yasorvaman I about late 9th to early 10th century. Mm….it is around 1000 years ago…. We were waiting for the spectacular view, but unfortunately, the sun was blocked by the cloud. We went down disappointedly =(

14 April 06

In the morning, we went to Angkor Thomb and the first destination was Bayon. The smiling faces of stature at the entrance gate seems welcoming all of us to Angkor. In front of the gate, there are Hindu’s legend statures of Sura and Asura which they are churning the Ocean of the Milk (Hindu’s legend story)

The Bayon was great seems we were entering to another world. It was existed since Jayavarman VII rule from late 12th century. There are 37 standing towers with 148 faces. There are different opinions on these smiling faces. Some said the faces is Avalokita Svara (Hindu’s Guan Yin), some said it is the king of Jayavarman VII, some said it is normal Khmer
Buying ticket to Angkor Buying ticket to Angkor Buying ticket to Angkor

With Angkor official at the ticket counter
people. Which one is the correct answer?

After that, we went to Baphuon, Phimeanakas & Royal Palace, Elephant Terrace and The terrace of the Leper King.

At 12:45pm we were heading to the greatest temple in Angkor, i.e. Angkor Wat. To save time, we took our lunch at the restaurant opposite to the Angkor Wat (There are many restaurants and stalls over there). The foods here is quite expensive compare with Old Market. I ordered a plate of fried rice with pork cost USD3.00.

At 2.00pm, we entered the Angkor Wat. The area of the temple is big, around 1.5km x 1.3km. It was very tired to walk under the hot sun and climb the steep steps to the temple. The temple was built during the gloriest period of Angkor under Suryavarman II. And there were many carvings along the gallery depicting the different battles story and the legend of Hindu. We spent 2 ½ hours here before heading to Ta Prohm.

Ta Prohm is famous for covered by gigantic trees’ roots. A sense of mystery arouse when entering the temples. This low and long temple was built by Jayavarman VII during mid 12th to early
To Angkor ThombTo Angkor ThombTo Angkor Thomb

After this gate, we have entered to the Great Angkor..
13th century.

At night we took dinner at Smiling Sun Restaurant. We took Cambodian cuisine such as Amok in coconut, Lok Lat fried beef, Tom yam shrimp soup…etc. The taste is good, sweet and sour and not spicy. Furthermore the price is reasonable of USD20.90 for 6 peoples. Then we walked to Pub Street for a drink (Buy 2 Free 1 of beer and cocktail which cost USD2.50 per glass).

15April 06

We woke up around 4:30am to catch the sun rise at Srah Sang.

Srah Sang means “Royal Bath” built by Jayavarman VII. Though it was only 5++am, but we were already surrounded by the kids who were selling the souvenirs. However, again we have no luck, it was a cloudy morning and hence we have to go for next destination disappointedly.

We took breakfast (which packed from hotel) at the road side of Pre Rup temple. The Pre Rup was built by Rajendravarman II in late 10th century. There was a cistern after entering the temple. It was believed the cistern was used for funerary purpose which to burn the king’s body after his dead.

Next we went to East Mebon, Neak
BayonBayonBayon

The smiling khmer in Bayon
Pean, Beanteay Prei, Preah Khan, Thommanon and Ta Keo.

After the tour, we took dinner at old market. This time we tried some Combodian noodles. We ordered fried white noodle with pork (the noodle actually is like our kuey teow here) and fried yellow noodle with chicken. We did ordered rice with Khmer soup, green papaya salad, curry with vegetable green…etc. The taste is good. Again, the Combodian food always sweet and sour.

After lunch, we continued the tour going to Prasat Kravan, Banteay Kdei and went back to Srah Sang buying souvenirs (as we found there is the best bargain place to shop and buy)

Tonight we went for trying a Combodian traditional massage. After that walked to Pub Street and took a street food as our dinner. The stall just opposite to the Red Piano. All of us ordered the Combodian “mama” fried noodle which cost 3000R per plate. The “mama” fried noodle in fact is like our “maggie goreng”. Then we took a drink at bar like yesterday.

16 April 06

This morning we went to Banteay Srey. It is around 37km from Siem Reap town. Along the way we found there
Angkor WatAngkor WatAngkor Wat

Entering the great Angkor Wat..
was lot of traditional Combodian houses which is similar to Malay’s traditional house.

The Banteay Srey means ‘citadel of the women’. The temple is famous for its delicate beauty of the carvings. The temple was built at a time when the Khmer Empire was gaining significant power and territory, which is under a powerful king, Rajendravarman and later under Jayavarman V. The carvings of the temples are magnificent. It is terms as “Jewel of Khmer’s Art”.

We stayed there around an hour then only heading for Banteay Samre

Once we arrived, we have surrounded by kids selling the souvenirs. And we have been chased from the drop off to the temple. The Banteay Samre was constructed around the same time as Angkor Wat. This temple is more complete compare with other temples. Many of the carvings are great and in good condition. There were some local kids inside the temple and we took some photos with them.

After that we back to Old Market for lunch. We took other Combodian cuisines such as chicken in palm sugar, Amok in banana leaf and etc.

After lunch, our next destination was Tonle Sap Vietnamese Floating Village. Before
Ta PhromnTa PhromnTa Phromn

The building is covered by tree..
departure then only we were told by the driver that we need to buy a boat ticket from travel agent. It cost USD10 per person. After bargain, it was USD50 for 6 persons.

Along the road towards the lake, there were many small and poor houses. I can see some were sleeping in the house. After the bumpy road, we finally reached the jetty to board the boat.

The lake was very dirty. The village was formed by many houses which built on individual raft bamboo. The tour took only around 1 hour. It seems that we have been cheated as the agent told us the tour was 2 and ½ hours.

On the way back we stopped over at Phnom Krom. We have to climb the steps (not the steep steps like in Angkor’s temples) and then climb the hill to the top. It was pretty tired under the hot sun. But from there we can see the wonderful view of the Tonle Sap Lake and the surrounding countryside along the way to the top.

The Phnom Krom consists of three towers which dedicated to Shiva, Vishnu and Brahma respectively. We were waiting for sun
Srah SangSrah SangSrah Sang

Sun rise at the "Royal Bath" of Srah Sang...we woke up at 4:30am..
set on the top of the hill.

Tonight is our last night in Siem Reap, we selected a more “class” restaurant to take our dinner. We selected In-Touch at the Pub Street. This time we ordered individually and I ordered the Combodian sour soup with rice.

It was still early after the dinner, hence we took a walk to Center Market for last shopping.

17 April 06

After the breakfast we took the last last shopping at Center Market as ah look still got something to buy.

We checked-out at around 9:30am.

I really enjoyed this trip even though we have missed Kbal Spean and Phnom Kulen these two destinations.

Overall the Cambodian history is great, the people is friendly and the food is good. I love Combodia and Combodian. I will come again!








Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Pre RupPre Rup
Pre Rup

6 of us...
Elephant TerraceElephant Terrace
Elephant Terrace

This is Elephant battle place...
Preah KhanPreah Khan
Preah Khan

The building is being eaten by the tree..
East MebonEast Mebon
East Mebon

Gate to the East Mebon temple
East Mebon templeEast Mebon temple
East Mebon temple

The overview of the East Mebon
Neak PeanNeak Pean
Neak Pean

This horse called Bahala where he was saving the people from the sea...
Ta KeoTa Keo
Ta Keo

Preparing to climb the steep steps to the tower...
Prasat KravanPrasat Kravan
Prasat Kravan

This is other temple called Prasat Kravan..
Banteay SreiBanteay Srei
Banteay Srei

Overview of Banteay Srei
Banteay SreiBanteay Srei
Banteay Srei

Central sanctuary view of Banteay Srei...i like the statures near the entrance of the santuary
Banteay SamreBanteay Samre
Banteay Samre

Me and Banteay Samre
Banteay SamreBanteay Samre
Banteay Samre

The Banteay Samre children...
Tonle Sap LakeTonle Sap Lake
Tonle Sap Lake

The floating village in Tonle Sap..
Phnom Krom Phnom Krom
Phnom Krom

We found this temple on the way back from Tonle Sap...


19th April 2006

Now we r member already ah!
So what's ur next destination? hoe to see u and ur girlfriend in your next travel blog la!

Tot: 0.154s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 16; qc: 72; dbt: 0.1209s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb