Angkor's Away


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
March 4th 2005
Published: March 4th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Demons of AngkorDemons of AngkorDemons of Angkor

The road into Angkor Thom is lined on either side with statues of demons and kings
Hi all,
Hope everyone’s doing great. We’ve abandoned the sultry slow pace of the beaches in Southern Thailand and are on the road seeing, hearing and tasting some wonderful places.

Since our last update we’ve been entertaining our friends James and Tim. They arrived separately but as fate would have we all came together at Angkor in Cambodia.

As you’ll see from the pictures a good time was had by all.

After leaving Bangkok we flew into Siem Reap. A town about 10 minutes drive to the ancient Angkor temples. We had arranged to have someone from our hotel pick us up at the airport but "Mr. Tim", as he became infamously known all over town, had given the wrong ETA and we found our own way into town. The owners of the guesthouse were very surprised to see us since they had just paid someone to head to the airport to pick us up. Bad man that Mr. Tim!

Thankfully, the Cambodian people we met were incredibly generous, kind and friendly and no one held it against him. In fact, we were treated like family at the guesthouse and recieved constant
The BoysThe BoysThe Boys

Mike, James and Mr. Tim looking sweaty and touristy.
attention from the resident teenagers. James became known as "Belly" Beckham after we told the young Li that James was a retired footballer. Both kids are incredibly smart and ambitious. They're anxious to have a shot at a good life. They are very poor in Cambodia but all the young people we met burned with energy and a fierce drive to make something of their lives and country.

Angkor is crazy with tourists at all hours of the day and the only way to get around the temples is to hire a driver. For $20 a day we toured the truly amazing temples. Some of us scrambling up the steep steps to get a look at the awesome views of jungle. Some, Mr. Tim, were content to sit in the shade while the others worked up a good sticky sweat.

Our evenings were spent eating tasty khmer food and sipping evening cocktails. Three seemed to be Mr. Tim’s limit. I won’t print what happened after.

After touring the temples we hung out for a few days visiting the markets and sitting in front of fans to try and keep cool in the blazing heat.
Angkor WatAngkor WatAngkor Wat

It's hard to get a shot without mobs of people but Charlotte managed one.


The highlight of the Angkor trip had to be Charlotte’s birthday. Looking fabulous at the ripe old age of 28. After hoofing it all over Angkor during the day and seeing the sunset the special day was celebrated with a coconut khmer cake. And many birthday drinks. Happy Birthday Lottie.

After four hilarious and wonderful days Mr. Tim moved on to Phnom Penh and back home. James, Charlotte and I headed for the crowded, honking streets of Hanoi. More on that later.

For now, best wishes to everyone and expect an update on our Vietnam travels soon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Monks at Angkor WatMonks at Angkor Wat
Monks at Angkor Wat

Monks roam the ancient cobblestones talking to tourists. They worked on their english and tried to raise funds for their education.
Ta PhromTa Phrom
Ta Phrom

Some of the Angkor temples have been abandoned for so long that the jungle took over.
All SmilesAll Smiles
All Smiles

The Birthday Girl, Mr. Tim and "Belly" Beckham.


Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0206s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb