the journey part 2


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
November 9th 2009
Published: November 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

part 2! already i cant keep up with this holiday

WOW so much to tell you guys! Well we spent 3 days at Angkor Wat. Its definitely THE place to hold an Indiana Jones party!! loads of places to explore and despite the myriads of people at some of the bigger temples some were like you were discovering them for the first time! crawling over stones and through windows to get to hidden rooms - i did loose Ben completely at one point (we were both thinking that we may never see each other again) Amazing place unfortunately for you the photos will not do the place justice, the scale of things etc some of them were huge places! (plus you'll get bored of photo 52 of about 200)

Siem reap - well not much there too be honest, only interest is the Angkor temples. so after a sharp exit we head to Phonm Penh we didn't bank on the 6 hour bus journey but hey all part of the fun?
We arrive in Phonm Pehn without actually anywhere to stay but we find this cute place that overlooks the lake for $5 a night so cant grumble at that. Actually quite by accident we ended up in the backpacker area so it was full of cool bars and shops. The city centre itself just like all the other big cities dusty and smelly but interesting!

we hadn't realized but we could have got a flight a day the same day we arrived and been straight back in Bangkok but with the extra day we decided to take in a bit of history of the place & go see the killing fields! thats the last you'll hear about that,,,, far to disturbing!!

Anyway flight to Bangkok was painless and as we been there already we starting to feel like pro's at this stuff straight in a taxi to train station to get overnight-er to Chaing Mai. only to our dismay all of the sleeper compartments on all 3 trains that night were full!! Gutted - so it'll be another uncomfortable train journey YEY! After getting tickets realising we had exactly 2 mins to find platform and get on train we peg it down the platform and collapse on the train in hysterics about what we must have looked like. Only we didnt think that it didnt leave us anytime to get food and we were both starving!! But Thai transport comes to the rescue - i tell you what the service over here is fantastic. we not even first class yet we get a meal and a drink, then breakfast and a drink, oh and a blanket all for just £12 a person to travel to the the other end of the country!!

We aventually arrive in Chaing Mai (the only downside to Thai trains is you cant always guarentee when they are going to arrive at the moment they said, both ours running an hour behind schedule) and grab a taxi to Chaing Dao. The most beautiful place we seen so far, its up in the mountains everywhere is so clean compared to everywhere else we have visited. Also people obey the basic rules of the road here like stop when the light is on red, stay in your own lane, indicate when turning (well almost) The town centre in Chaning Mai and Chaing Doe is so much more appealing too. Not street after street of you having to pick you way down the street triping over everything as shop front spill out onto the streets! it seems more serine and peaceful!

The hotel Chaing Dao Nest is absolulty gorgeous! little wooden shacks hidden in amongst the bamboo trees with a backdrop of Chaing Dao Mountain behind! Its like a little tropical paradise!! so neadless to stay we've altered our plans and are going to stay here for a few days!! Maybe off treking up Chaing Dao's 2150m or bamboo rafting we havent decided yet! However tomorrow we are going to the monastry in a cave - that should be interesting!!

Right that's you lot up to date and i'm staving so its off for dinner and i'll be back in a few days cya x

Advertisement



9th November 2009

Hiya
Bec's my small child has shown me up again and told me how to work this website,anyhow I am so jealous you two sound as though you are having a great adventure can't wait to see you(not your sun tan) so you can tell me all.read you soon x
9th November 2009

Glad your having good time
Sounds like you're having great time. You can see why we so enjoyed ourselves. Something new every day - no - often every few minutes. It's the unplanned and unexpected that make it so good eh! Continue to have fun and find those special experiences to cherish. Looking forward to your next update. We're thinking of you both. Malc and Mary

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.033s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb