Angkor Wat, Cambodia


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
February 18th 2009
Published: February 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Angkor Wat is located near Siem Reap in northwest Cambodia. The Angkor structures were constructed in the 12th century by king Suryavarman II. The style is the epitomy of Khmer architecture and to this day is the national symbol of Cambodia. The reach of the Khmer empire at the time was quite far. For a significant period of time, they were the dominant force in the region.

The temples are really spectacular. We were taken by bicycle taxi at 5:30 in the morning to a bridge. It was so dark it was hard to see the stone bridge, or anything beyond it. We crossed through an archway and past ancient sculptures usinga flashlight. We kept walking to where some other people were gathered. As the sun began to rise, it revealed the amazing Angkor Wat and was reflected in the two symetrical pools in front. Damn impressive.

James, Christine & I were delayed a day in leaving Thailand for Cambodia by the Great Valentine's Day Sickathon of 2009. We all fell ill at the same time.

When we got to the Cambodian border, we fell victim to a common scam. They told us you have to get your visa before getting to immigration (not true). So we paid about $15 more for our visa, but it did include a guide to walk us through the process,so not a total loss.

That was followed by a 2 1/2 hour taxi ride on the worst road ever. James appropriately referred to it as "Beyond Thunderdome". Just a dusty road filled with potholes with every bridge under construction, causing us to go around each time. Apparently they keep it this way on purpose so that people will opt to fly there. Plus Bangkok air has a monopoly on the flight from Bangkok, so they charge more for it.
Ingenious.

All of a sudden, this dry, brown, hopelessly flat and desolate terrain becomes green and beautiful with huge, expensive hotels, nice restaurants and bars. You are in Siem Reap. Cambodia has seen more than its fair share of suffering and the one major attraction they have, an amazing place that can generate revenue for Cambodians, is dominated by foreign investors. The restaurants and hotels there seem to be all/mostly owned by Europeans and Americans. No big surprise.




Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0175s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb