Angkor Wat


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
November 9th 2005
Published: February 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Another early morning as we left the guest house at 5am to go to Angkor Wat. After we had crossed the moat & walked down the long raised path, there in front
of us through the dark we could just see the outline of Angkor Wat, the largest religious monument in the world. Hundreds of people has gathered along the path waiting for the sun to rise. The sky got gradually lighter revealing faint wisps of early morning cloud & then finally the ancient temple was fully visible. We walked inside & made our way up to the top level up some really steep steps that appeared even steeper on descending. Bol had a plan to get us round Angkor so that we would meet as few other tourists as possible. This plan seemed to work well as made our way round Angkor Thom, the Bayon Temple full of smiling faces, the Elephant terrace & Terrace of the Leper King where Bol gave us the history of the Angkorian civilisation. Having evaded the various hawkers by staying outside the tiny pieces of string on the floor marking their boundary we got to Ta Prohm - The Jungle Temple. Here the jungle had taken over & huge tree roots had intertwined with the stone walls & carvings providing the setting for films such as Tomb Raider we were reliably informed. Lunch was at one of the restaurants in Angkor & they served delicious Fish Amok presented in a green coconut. The afternoon was spent climbing up Phnom Bakheng where there was great views over the surrounding area once we had got our breath back. We finally returned to explore Angkor Wat with Bol explaining the history & pointing out details within the spectacular temple.

Drink of the day: Jackfruit Shake



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



19th February 2006

wow, your picture of angkor wat at sunset is just breathtaking...I cant wait to see it...we shall be there in august..yay

Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 18; dbt: 0.021s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb