I'm not a monkey so i dont eat fruit!


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
March 16th 2008
Published: March 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Do you guys realise the arduous conditions I have to work under to bring you this sh1t? I remember using better computers in school than they have over here. Good old BBC computers, probably handles broadband better than these ones anyway.

3 days of temples and I am suffering with temple fatigue and a very bad gut. No worries though as Kriss is on hand to race me to a toilet at the first sign of trouble! I wont tell you about the temples as you can see pics for yourself at XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

One of the highlight of the trip here are the stories the tuk-tuk driver tells us. I wont go into detail but Cambodian women dont want to be touched to much and use their teeth alot when they do get down to business. He even showed us a recent flesh wound from lady and is was fresh and painful looking.

Cambodian men have to pay their partners families at least $2000US if they want to marry them and I am guessing that is going to be for a total skank as well as 2k is cheap. If anyone does decide to go to Siem Reap they can do a lot worse than contacting Kriss to ferry them around www.freewebs.com/siemreapaccommodation or phone (855) 12941719; (855)11222421


Accomodation wise Siem Reap is not short on guest houses or costly hotels. With all of the tourism that this town sees I cannot help but ask myself why there is sooooo much poverty. people look dirty, there is filth in the streets and begging is prevalent even with very very young children. Whenever a child sees a white person all you can hear them say is "meesta, meesta, wuuuuun doll aaaaaaahhhhh i got to school" or "meesta meesta, i give you ten flutes/bracelets for wuuuuun doll aaaaaaahhhhh" i even got offered a million flutes for a doll aaaaaaahhhh, my answer was still "no, now bugger off".

The food here has been good. 12 doll aaaaaaaahhhh got us a buffett in a swanky hotel and some traditional dancing. It was not the sort of dancing that Wyn would take Gareth and I to in a few days, now that is dancing I like.

3 days in the temples was interesting but too much for me. I tend to get snow blindness and things become very similar after a while. One thing that brought me back down to earth was firing an AK47 assault rifle and the other was a land mine museum. Sounds odd but it brought the terrible nature of wars and antipersonnel landmines (APL), designed to blow limbs off but NOT kill your enemy. Cruelty has no limits with mankind. All around the temples you will see landmind victims missing limbs, many play music to earn some money. All of the band you see and hear has an APL injury, so some have arms missing, other legs, eyes, feet or a mixture of them all.

Ironically, the laying of land mines inadvertently proved a positive development in Argentina and the Falkland Islands. This is because the mine fields laid by the sea during the Falklands War have become favorite places for penguins, which are too light to detonate the mines, and are therefore able to breed safely in areas where humans do not enter. These odd sanctuaries have proven so popular and lucrative for ecotourism that there has been some effort to prevent having the mines removed by offering to finance mine removal in regions with human populations where mines are a persistent danger, such as in Cambodia.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0412s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb