Another Day Another Place!


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
October 26th 2005
Published: October 26th 2005
Edit Blog Post

That's how we are feeling at the moment you get used to one place and then we are off again somewhere new!

So Chris left us at our last entry on our first day in Sihanoukville after that horrendous journey of nine hours with nothing to eat! So after a good nights sleep and a good breakfast we set off with our back packs map in hand to find a place at the beach to chill out for the rest of the week.

We headed down to Serendipity Beach where we found a nice hotel/bar just on the beach front for 10 dollars. We had a nice meal etc and thought this would be a good place to spend the week that was until we were lying there at 3am with heavy metal music being played downstairs we then knew it was time to move on. So in the morning we found another hotel close by that didn't have a bar downstairs!

The rest of the week was generally chilling out and exploring the place, we did find a nice beach called Sokha beach where you had to pay a dollar to go on but it was worth it cos no Cambodians were allowed on, it got a bit tiresome after a while saying no thank you to everyone trying to sell you stuff.

So after chilling basically in Sihanoukville we headed off to Phnom Penh the capital of Cambodia. We did a lot in the capital and we really liked the place too, very chilled out atmosphere. While we were there we went to the National Museum and the Grand Palace.

The most interesting part was when we went to Toul Sleng Museum, this place which I am sure you know used to be a school and then Pol Pot turned it into a prison and a place of torture. This is of course an important part of Cambodia's history and walking around the place where these people where so cruelly treated was quite upsetting and to think it was only just over 30 years ago.
We then went to the Killing Fields also which is where people as the name suggest were taken after they had been to prison to be excuted. They have built a momument at the field which they have filled with skulls and clothes that they found at the sight. Walking round the sight they had cornered off some of the graves they found remains in, but as we were walking round we heard a tour guide say that there was bones all over the floor and sure enough even today as you walk around there are bones and clothes sticking out of the ground, must have been just too many too dig up. Again upsetting walking round and it makes you think how can something like this have gone on only 30 years ago.

Anyway that was yesterday and today we set off to Siem Reap got here early this afternoon found a hotel and we are going to chill for the rest of the day before starting to go and see the Temples of Angkor which are a must see in Cambodia.

We have fitted in a lot when you look back at it in just over a week I could go on for ages but I think I have gone on long enough. Anyway hope you are all well, more pictures coming soon!

Love Mandy and Chris x x x



Advertisement



28th October 2005

I can't find your pics!
Can anyone tell me how to get on to the pics section? have you got some nice pics on this thing yet Mase, I want to see your beautiful face!!! Oh and by the way lad, Everton are failing miserably! x sounds all go in Cambo though, enjoy x
29th October 2005

Just a quick one to say hello from us two. All very interesting, keep them coming! how do you view your photos? off for a darlo saturday night out, lots of love h+j x
2nd November 2005

Forgot to ask......
In Thailand, how long did it take before you thought of Alan Partridge? See any ladyboys?* Cozza and Tracy xxx *Tom made me ask.
6th November 2005

reference photos
double click on the photo of those two at Heathrow this opens up to the rest of photos some pretty goood ones too.

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0593s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb