Siem Reap - Temples, Temples and u guessed it, more Temples


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
October 15th 2005
Published: October 15th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Steep Steps of AnkorSteep Steps of AnkorSteep Steps of Ankor

These steps are so steep, if u fell, well lets just not think about it.
Hello from Angkor,

Well the last few days have been pretty event packed.... We flew out of Singapore on the 13th, and we were damn lucky to make the plane..

We had 2 alarms set and both of them failed to go off. Our flight was at 8.45am, and we aimed to wake at 5.30. Low and behold we awake at 7.15 and stess like mad to get to the airport, I don't think I have ever checked out of a hotel quite so quickly.

But we got to the airport in time, and caught a smooth flight to Siem Reap (Cambodia), after a quick ride into town we found a great hotel called the Red Piano. 20 US a night for the room, very clean and tidy, aircon, Bathroom and TV etc all mod cons.

Then we hired a driver and Moto (basically a motor bike with a trailer attached, Cost was about 5 bucks for the afternoon) and we visited the temples of Angkor. WOW WOW and another WOW. Talk about one Big area of temples. We got a three day pass to explore (40US each).

The steps up the side of Angkor Wat are so steep, that if you fell there would be no way to stop, they are designed this way so as you climb u are in a prayer position. I have a incling that its also a great defense design as well.

At the top of Angkor Wat, we met a monk who was is a teacher at the Volunteer Development Poverty Children School in Siem Reap. After speaking with him, he invited us to visit his school.

CEO, the place I work, donated around 400 pens for me to bring to Cambodia to give to the children, and yesterday morning we went and gave the school the pens, the Monks were very happy and so were the students. The majority of the children at this school are orphens, most of their parents have died from AIDS.

Public schools here cost nearly $ 1 AUS a day to attend, thats a fortune when the adverage wage is only a few hundred dollars a year. So this school provides free education to the poor.

The Monks teach Writing, English and Japanese to over 300 of these poor youngsters.

We had the previlidge of reading to the students as they like to hear how we pronounce words, as even the monks have a hard time pronouncing the English language.

I'm sure you will all have a giggle when you see the video of Mr Benson and Mr Lee Teaching English.

After many thankyous and bows, we were on our way back to the temples of Angkor,

Anybody seen tomb raider ?? well, the temple (Ta Prohm) we went to yesterday was featured in this movie, and just as they say in Lonely Planet, it was like stepping into an Indiana Jones movie.

Trees have overgrown the temples, and it's just an amazing site. some of these temples are over 1000 years old. Words can't describe and photos I'm sure, will not do it the justice they deserve.. all I can say is try and see these famous ancient ruins one day for yourselves.

The food in Cambodia is Cheap and very exotic, and we are having a great time sampling all the different brewskis they have...

We have booked a boat trip for tomorrow, which will take us from Siem Reip to Phnom Phenn (around 6-7 hours). Another early rise, I'm going to throw my phone alarm on this time (I know that works) :>

Hope all is well with you,

See you on the next update.




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



15th October 2005

Teaching??
Hey, I'll have to enrol you at uni when you get back - you've missed your calling....Go the CEO Pens...... Stay safe. Megz

Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 16; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0896s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb