Temples and Ruins


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
August 20th 2007
Published: September 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Stunning doesn't start to sum up the huge remains of the Angkor temples just North of Siem Reap.

We took a tour by tuk-tuk out into the jungle in search of the ruins, famed on the backpacker circuit and an icon of Cambodia itself. We saw so many temples in the one day, each slightly different from the one before, on all scales and stages of delapidation. The Angkor Wat grounds were huge and after 1 1/2 hours we had navigated the main entrance inner walls and the summit towers overlooking the spectacular remains of one of humankinds greatest architectural achievements.

The other temples worth a quick mention are that of Angkor Thom and the overlooking eyes on the carved faces in the Bayon ruins. We also loved Ta Phrom, left to the jungle, in the state it was found by explorers. We managed to get lost within the ruins (not difficult) and grasped a flavour of discovering it as we uncovered empty courtyards and fallen in chapels way off the guided tourist trail.

This excursion is a must do trip for anyone!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0375s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb