Siem Reap and Angkor Wat


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
June 14th 2007
Published: June 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Habitat Team in Siem ReapHabitat Team in Siem ReapHabitat Team in Siem Reap

Our team in the Jungle temple where the trees were left as found when the complex was discovered
After our build the team moved up to Angkor Wat for some R&R. The Phonm Pehn airport again surprised us with how nice it was as we enjoyed some authentic cappacinos in the gate area.

Angkor Wat is the main attraction in Siem Reap but it is just one of many large temples built between 1000 and 1500. It is the largest and most famous of the group.

Our first day in Siem Reap we met our guide Ing who took us first to the "jungle temple". It was featured in the movie Tomb Raider because the site has been kept in the same condition it was found by explorers. That is the giant trees and vines were not removed from the strucutre like they were from the other temples. Considering it was built 1000 years ago and endured weather, conquering armies, and nature it is amazing what is still in place. 300 year old trees were growing on, in, and through the temple walls.

Our second day of temple trecking brought us to Ankor Wat. It was packed with toursits unfortunately... they seem to be taking their toll on some of the temple's stones and grounds.
Allison and Brendan Allison and Brendan Allison and Brendan

Hiding behind a tree that has grown over the temple.
Our guide told us that Siem Reap plans on doubling the number of hotel rooms over the next 4 years so it looks like there is no end in sight for the crowds.

Our 3rd day found us on a boat in the floating village south of Siem Reap. The village has everying on the water from the schools to the hospital to the church.

Overall we loved our R&R but its end also meant we had to say good bye to our habitat group who we had gotten to know well over the 2 weeks. Allison and I both left feeling we had really gotten to know and appreciate Cambodia and the Cambodian people.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Allison and BrendanAllison and Brendan
Allison and Brendan

In front of one of the hundreds of giant heads at siem reap.
Feeding FidoFeeding Fido
Feeding Fido

OK... so Fido is a big deal here in Siem Reap.
Postcard ShotPostcard Shot
Postcard Shot

Have to have the postcard shot of angkor wat
Little BuggerLittle Bugger
Little Bugger

OK... so this scorpion was about 3 inches tip to tail. AND! very poisonous our guide told me when I showed him the picture.
Floating Village - ChurchFloating Village - Church
Floating Village - Church

Everything in the hotel is floating... here's the church
Boat RideBoat Ride
Boat Ride

Am I really happy or perhaps seasick?
School RecessSchool Recess
School Recess

These kids are hanging out on the railing of their school boat
B-BallB-Ball
B-Ball

The Gym is also, you guessed it, on a boat.


Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0313s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb