Angkor Wat - a new Seventh Wonder? (Cast your vote now!)


Advertisement
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
December 28th 2006
Published: December 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Siem Reap (Angkor Wat) Sunrise at Angkor Wat; Our moto driver said we had to leave the guest house at 4.30am. It seemed a little early, but he does this almost every day so should know what time the sun comes up. We've seen a few sunrises over the past few months, but I never remember having to set off this early. It's now just before 5am & we've made it to Angkor Wat. We're trying to navigate o... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Nicholas Tse Nicholas Tse
Nicholas Tse

Bad boy Hong Kong filmstar
Sales Girls Sales Girls
Sales Girls

Kylie gets sucked in again
The Bayon  The Bayon
The Bayon

From a distance it looks like a pile of rubble. Look closely & it's covered in those faces
Monks Monks
Monks

At work. Or play?
MusiciansMusicians
Musicians

These guys have all lost a leg, an arm or more from land mines. Rather than beg they have formed a band to raise money.



28th December 2006

Angkor
Hi! I was just browsing through, and saw your excellent post with great photos. I was in Angkor some two weeks ago, and regarding the sunset... I left (with a tuk-tuk) my hostel for Angkor Wat sunrise at 5am (probably, with a bicycle you really have to go at 430am). And it was perfectly timed... Nevertheless, it was for my taste tooo crowded... (especially around the left pond) and at the end i got almost identical photo of Angkor sunrise as you... And i have to agree... at 6am Angkor Wat was completely empty, as was Bayon one hour later... Keep on enjoying the trip! M.
28th December 2006

I was there in November and I guess I had a similar experiece. I was both thrill and the wonder before me but deeply sadden by the conditions of the people aroound me. And yes, I too was thorougly impressed with the kids. They would give US adults a run with their knowledge of US history let alone US childern. I heard that most of the money collected at Angkor Wat went to some Japanese company though. Which if true, would make it an even sadder situation.
1st January 2007

Accomodation
Your journal was indeed very good but would it not be worth for guidance of future travellers if names of guest houses where you stayed alongwith the charges you paid is also mentioned.
26th January 2010

angkor war
you got sucked into that buy. Ha ha!! your a very good writer. I normally don't read sites with lots of words on it but when I started reading you caught my attention. Pretty Cool!! Your site was actually helpful for my report for school. Thanks!!!!

Tot: 0.389s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 29; qc: 126; dbt: 0.2544s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.6mb