Kratie to Phnom Penh


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » Central
March 10th 2014
Published: March 10th 2014
Edit Blog Post

We woke up early the next morning for our trip to see the dolphins. The guy who took us there and back in his tuk tuk, called Sar, gave us a tour of all the produce of Cambodia on the journey. He showed us plants of Thai basil, Lemon grass, Cashew nuts, Limes,2 types of mangoes, Jack fruit, Corn, Cotton pods, Pineapple, two types of star fruit and rose apple which we tried 😊 he also showed us how to make a whistle out of a papaya tree branch, it was really interesting! All this was just growing on the side of the roads.

We went on a boat to try and find the Irrawaddy river dolphins which are rare. We saw quite a lot of them! They only come up for air every 5 minutes. You don't see much of their bodies because they literally just come up so the blow hole is out of the water and then go back down.It was good to see them though!

We returned to the guesthouse, got some food before our bus journey. We went to one of the street stalls to buy something we read about in lonely planet, it is a bamboo filled with rice, coconut milk and beans and steamed over a fire. It was tasty and very filling.

We spent the afternoon on a mini bus to Phnom Penh, which took about 5 hours. It felt like quite a long journey.

We arrived in the capital late afternoon. It was a much bigger city then I thought it would be. Very busy everywhere, lots going on! It was a nice change from the quiet 4000 Islands, to be in a big busy city. When we got off the bus we were surrounded by tuk tuk drivers, wanting us to go with them. We decided to go to a guesthouse we saw in lonely planet,called top banana, for the night as it was in the centre, where we wanted to be.

We went out for a little explore in the evening and had dinner at one of the street stall restaurants. I had lort and vegetables (I later found out lort is a short rice noodle) it was nice! Matt had noodles and beef. We also went into a supermarket we had seen in lonely planet, the first proper supermarket we have seen, and I found some peanut butter :D there was a lot of waitrose products in there which was weird to see. We then had an early night because the next day was going to be full of sightseeing.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.21s; Tpl: 0.029s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1778s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb