Hsipaw Different Perspectives Newsletter July 5, 2008


Advertisement
Burma's flag
Asia » Burma » Mandalay Region » Mandalay
July 5th 2008
Published: December 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Lashio to Hsi Paw Myanmar


This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
Welcome to our weekly news letter. The Staff at Different Perspectives try to bring a clearer picture of current events effecting China and Asia.

Although we believe the international media driven primarily by western worlds interests, is bringing the public events as they happen, we at Different Perspectives are independent and non biased without an agenda for prestige or monetary profit.

We simply feel the western world may be somewhat isolated from news that is local to our office here in Beijing, China.

Should you want your e-mail taken off the distribution of this news letter please reply here and it will be deleted immediately.

We hope you enjoy the news from a different perspective. Please contact us with your questions or comments.

Thank you
Different Perspectives Staff
Edward


________________________________________

Hsi pao, Myanmar was my second stop on my route toward Mandalay.
A small village with a population of about 10,000, it was my first look at
a very poor people in the middle of a chaotic desire to develop a society.

Exiting the bus from Lashio I headed off through the pot holed dusty streets and crumbled sidewalks toward Mr Chen's Guest House, carefully avoiding a injury, from the holes in the streets, or getting run over by a very loud and smokey 1 cylinder Myanmar standard issue farm tractor. Arriving at Mr Chan's Guest House safely with the help of a Guest House pose that came to meet me, I spent my first night in Hsi pao.
Lizards most about 3-4 inches long kept me company as I tried to sleep amidst a town of apocalyptic character.

In other words chaos ruled in Hsi pao. At night due to the lack of electricity motor bikes, horse and carriages and farm tractors rode the streets in darkness. People walked in the dark with flashlights and candles. I later found out that the government limits the number of hours that electricity is available. Electricity is only on for 2-3 hours a night. The hotels and homes that can afford to by a generator and fuel have electricity more often. At my Guest House it was on from 7-10 pm. I used a flashlight to read myself to sleep.

At about 10pm I was awoke by children reciting together thier classwork from across the street in a primary school. They studied and recited loudly every night from 7 to10:30 pm. And in the morning from 6 to 9 am. Hsi, pao school hours. I decided to take some video and was impressed by the enthusiasm of the students and the commanding nature that the teacher had with the students. I was welcomed into the classroom by the teacher and the students. They where proud to have me there.

The next day an American teacher from Bangladesh and myself trekked through the rice paddies outside of town where we saw how the population lives in bamboo huts with banana tree roofs. I would later find as I traveled further into the country that this was common living conditions for many Myanmar's. No electricity, or running water. A country with many mountain people and a population the size of a large US city, and the size of the state of Texas. Mostly undeveloped and underdeveloped. Farming by hand, no sewage or drainage and roads which to travel on most would need 4 wheel drive. It appears that the government has made an effort to place education first. A noble adgenda in our opinion.

Underdeveloped, a country in the mist of growing politically, though as a Myanmar friend of mine describes as an evolutionary (IE. the current political system will change for the better) process. In fact it has been said that the present regime is aware of unrest and is willing to negotiate. The optimism of people I have met is astounding under such living circumstances. More political discussions in a future edition of Different Perspectives.

Next time in Different Perspectives we travel to Pyi oo lyn, Myanmar, a city a incredible ethnic diversity, and home to many of the present government's military installations. Please join us. Until then.

Different Perspectives Staff
Edward

" those who accept that we all die someday settle their quarrels"

peace




Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0593s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb