Bagan to Inle


Advertisement
Burma's flag
Asia » Burma » Mandalay Region » Inle Lake
January 21st 2014
Published: January 21st 2014
Edit Blog Post

Back on line . It has been quite strange I can receive your messages but I haven't been able to publish any new blogs ... or retrieve the one I autosaved 2 days ago . Oh well I shall try again .

The boat trip down the Ayerwaddy was very pleasant . The seats we had grabbed on the deck had enough sun ,shade and shelter and the A/C assigned seats were comfortable enough for a nap or two . As it happens there was a GAP tour group on the boat .Had Suzanne not decided to come to Burma I would probably have been with that group . There were 12 of them 4 Canadians and the rest Aussies and New Zealanders . A pleasant group to visit with . Also on the boat were two women from Munich who were staying at the same hotel as we were . One day we booked a van for the day to tour the larger outlying are of Bagan .The driver knew the area well and took us to some of the less famous but very interesting Structures . Bagan is an ancient city 10-12th Century .The pagodas ,Monesteries and other religious structures that have survived are amazing .Built of brick covered in stucco they are still standing proud albeit a bit tattered. Another day we were lucky to happen on th weekend market which was especially large as a festival was on at that Pagoda .People are so friendly and seem to enjoy our presence as we enjoy theirs.

We lucked out on food as well . I had the most amazing tomato curry with nuts at a vegetarian restaurant one day and some oven baked fish with hot baked bread . REALLY a memorable meal. The Wine of the area is quite good as well. Mind you Myanmar beer is he usual beverage for us.

Today we flew to Inle Lake where we will spend all day tomorrow visiting surrounding villages and gardens by boat .

Things have gone well except for a bit of stomach adjusting...

I do look forward to your comments and messages . Not having hotmail really sucks...

Advertisement



21st January 2014

Interesting.
Had a great visit with Nettie & Bryon &, of course, a super meal. What a great cook! They have a lovely house as well. We got everyone at our bungalows excited that night. We had not said we were going for dinner. They all wondered where we were. We never go out at night, especially not with the van. They wondered, is one of them sick? A friend sick? Where are they? finally, our neighbour told them we were probably out for dinner. One of our friends scolded us for missing curfew & for not signing out when we left. So that is our standing joke now. Sign out. Don't miss curfew (even during the day). Fun. Today, friends from Mazatlan, who used to be in the rv park with us & made wine with us, are coming for a visit. Haven't seen them for 2 or 3 yrs. Will be nice to connect again. Fri. friends from SV are arriving for 6 wks. So things are moving along. Continue enjoying. We enjoy your missives. love
22nd January 2014

Catching up with friends is usually a good idea . Do say hi to Nettie and Brian for me.Sounds like you live in a small village...which has it's merits and demerits.
21st January 2014

Having a great adventure
Am enjoying your blog entries..sounds like another good adventure and really great that you have a travel partner like Suzanne..sounds like she is up for all the new things coming at you. No adventures here this winter...spring in Spain..but a long way away so will live vicariously through yours.
21st January 2014

Your travels
Pam, thanks for including me in your blog. I am enjoying your blog very much because it gives me an insight into a country that not many people know about. I am currently teaching a citizenship class to a large group from the Burmese community who came here on the invitation of the Canadian government. They are a delightful group of people, very welcoming, shy and soft spoken. I have been working with them since March of 2013 and will continue until April of this year. How much longer are you visiting in their homeland? Thanks again!
21st January 2014

I was wondering where you had gone to
And I'm glad to hear all is well. Thanks for taking us on the voyage with you. You're missing a relatively warm January, but yes, there is snow. Get the tomato curry recipe if you can. It sounds outrageosly good.
21st January 2014

Love the updates, Pam. So glad to hear that all is going well. Still looking forward to the photos!
24th January 2014

adventure
Interesting and informative, your blog gives us an opportunity to travel vicariously with you. You & Suzanne need to write a book about your many adventures. We enjoyed a few days at the beach on the golf but head home early because it is pretty cool here in Florida as well as the rest of the county. Enjoyed lots of calls on the 23rd. Travel safe!

Tot: 0.511s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.114s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb