jumping cats and floating gardens


Advertisement
Burma's flag
Asia » Burma » Mandalay Region » Inle Lake
October 25th 2010
Published: November 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
Inle Lake is the Burmese equivalent of Venice with locals living on the lake in stilt houses. Popping to your neighbours for a cup of sugar involves getting your boat out. While there might not be gondolas, Inle has gone one better with its one legged boat rowers. Men stand in their boats and attach an oar to one of their feet, flamingo like they paddle round the lake either catching fish, going to the floating markets where you fight for space between the boats, or tending their gardens which also float and have row upon row of succulent vegetable.

The lake is also home to a variety or artisans and you can hear the silversmiths making jewelry, the looms busy at work weaving silk scarves and see the women rolling cigars of various different flavours. Not to be out done the local monks have been busy and have trained stray cats to jump through hoops (see the attached video if you don't believe me!)


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.087s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb