Brunei Day 2 & Day 3


Advertisement
Brunei's flag
Asia » Brunei » Bandar Seri Begawan
November 17th 2012
Published: November 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Kampoon AyerKampoon AyerKampoon Ayer

Kampoon Ayer - Stilted Village
Friday

It had eventually stopped raining in the morning - but we took precautions, setting off with kagools and an umbrella. Our first venture entailed hailing a water taxi and then, having confirmed the fare, we were taken over to Kampong Ayer - a village buit on stilts in the river estuary. As we wandered the rickety planks that passed as pavements we were shocked at how friendly the people who live there were - we were clearly very intrusive and they lived in what we would consider to be shanty town conditions. This ancient village is being replaced by new modern stilt houses - but hopefully some of the 'old town' will be kept for nostaglic and tourism purposes. It is worth noting that we have not been challenged by a single beggar in Brunei!!

Next up, we strolled through Kianggeh Market. Although some stall holders were closing down, this was still vibrant with a rich aroma from the many food on sale. After sticking our noses into a Chinese Temple we dragged ourselves back to our hotel, perspiration dripping from every part of our body. Luckily the door porter spotted out plight and appeared with cold hand
Kianggeh MarketKianggeh MarketKianggeh Market

Kianggeh Market
towels - a life saver. As was the air con in our room!!

After a much earned feet up, we set out again for the Tasek Park Waterfall - clearly this was benefiting from yesterday's rain!! That was all our bodies could take and so 30 minutes later we could be found by the swimming pool - JC with his head in a book and Kate doing a few lengths.

Saturday

The final day and gosh it was another Brunei scorcher!! We visited the mosque after breakfast, abandoning our shoes outside and donning a black gown. Inside, we were very limited as to where we could go - I can see some sense in this. Outside we wandered around the building and stumbled across another village on stilts - this one looked very poorly maintained. It was now seriously hot and so we made a beeline for the hotel and its swimming pool - spending the rest of the day there!!

At 4.30pm we began packing, placing jumpers towards the top of the cases - just in case it's a tad chillier in Blighty!!

Kate's Comments

What lovely people the Bruneians are everyone you
Tasek Park WaterfallTasek Park WaterfallTasek Park Waterfall

Tasek Park Waterfall
meet says hello and the children all address me as Mam and John as Sir. Football is very much a common language and John has has many a conversation with Water taxi owners and children in the park about the relative merits of Man U and B'ham City! All I can say is Man U merchandising is worth a fortune here.

Tonight's meal at the hotel had spit roast lamb on the menu and was obviously very popular ,with lots of families in attendance - nice to see how well behaved the children are when eating out.

The heat here has been quite a surprise, perhaps because it wasn't as hot as we had expected in Australia? The swimming Pool, and air con have been very welcome as is the provision of free bottled water and iced drinks and ice cold flannels in the reception area..

I have also enjoyed the Mocktails- non alcoholic cocktails . Brunei is an alcohol free country so they make lovely fruit drinks in stead.

The final leg of our journey, 18 hours to Heathrow, begins at 9 tomorrow night. The month has passed very quickly and we are looking forward
MosqueMosqueMosque

Mosque
to seeing our. Home and of course our friends and family. I guess the cold weather will come as quite a shock however as will having to face reality again and cook, shop, wash and clean etc!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Radisson PoolRadisson Pool
Radisson Pool

Kate in Radisson Pool


17th November 2012

Enjoyed
Hi Have thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog and getting the feel of the exciting places you have been to. Thankyou!!! Welcome back to cold and dreary England. Hope that you soon get over your jet lag. Talk soon Love Joyxx

Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0476s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb