Tiger's Nest


Advertisement
Bhutan's flag
Asia » Bhutan
October 29th 2012
Published: October 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

This is the fourth time writing this blog. The first was lost when the Internet at the paro hotel quit just as Icompleted,fhe blog, the second andmthird when the onternet at the lounge in the delhi airport quit, and thr fourth attempt, now from Fort Cochi in southern India. More about the trip pawn here later, when I have recovered some of my sense of humour.



So, back to the final day in Bhutan. We hiked up to Tiger's Nest. This is a very old, dating from the 7th century for the original structure. Of course,it has been expanded and added to over time. I have absolutely no idea how they built in that location. It is way, way, WAY up, about an hour and a half steep climb, the first part on a rough sort of trail and the last bit on stairs that go up, across a gorge and then up again. I know I have said it before, but photos really will not do it justice, due in part to the fact that I took few photos-on the way up I was gasping for air(the altitude reslly makes it tough to climb) and on the way down I was holding on to the railing, when there was one or the rock face to make sure I did not tumble down.



There are several small connected temples, all dedicated to vsrious things..one for good health, oanother prosperity and another for a long life. They are quite smal, but very pretty. The main purpose the the temple complex is to mark the arrival spot of an ancient very holy chap who came from Tibet. He arrived on a flying tiger. Not sure why the tiger had to land at the top of the mountain rather than the bottom, but apparently that is what he did.

We went into the temple where the high abbot was praying. He did a blessing for the prayer bracelets and amulets folks had purchased and brought up for this purpose. It was a very moving experience. He Was sitting in a little nook, rather like a wide window ledge and he had his prayer manuscript in front of him. He blessed the things with holy water (sound familiar) that came from a golden vessel topped with a peacock feather. He chanted, poured a few grains of rice into each bag and then blew into each one.

I knew this hike was a part of the trip, and had beedp thinking about it since day one. Very proud and happy that I made it to the top.

Attached doh photo, but if you really want to see the amazing location of thirds place, google tiger's nest in paro, I'm sure something will come up, and yes, we had to hike up, no flying tigers or dragons.



More about the trip south later....long, long day, with late flights and a driver sent by the tour company who did not know the way to the hotel...hotel is lovely, but my room is on the ground floor and one set of windows looks out onto the courtyard restaurant and the other set looks out onto the lobby, so essentially in a windowless room, with drapes pulled. The drapes are nice, and there is lots of hot waster and a shower head that delivers water...guess I can't have it all. Have asked for another from, but don't think that will happen..he seemed very offended that I was not delighted with it. And, it big if and the furnishings are lovely, but I do feel very exposed, and not quite safe, though I am sure that is not the cease. Will talk to the guy from the tour agency, if he shows up tomorrow for the tour...and, now you have part of the trip south story, so will live it at that, except to say it was a 16 houDayan, just after tHr hike.....I am a weary puppy.



Photos won't upload,,again....will try to send them separately. Next trip I will use another website.

Advertisement



31st October 2012

very busy girl
Deb, take care of yourself too. it is a vacation don't forget.sounds great though. keep having fun.

Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0195s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb