Back in Paro


Advertisement
Bhutan's flag
Asia » Bhutan
October 27th 2012
Published: October 28th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Back in Paro, where we began. Yesterday was the long, long day drive from Trongsa to

Thimpu. It really did take 9 hours to travel 200 Kms. We did take a short lunch break and a couple roadside pit stops, but most of the time we were on the road. I counted 16, and I think it was more, places were the road had been either washed out or suffered a major landslide. Repairs were,minimal, and the roadbed in these areas was sand or loose stone. Road travel here is not for the faint of heart. Did see monkeys, but we could not stop for photos...is it a gaggle, a pride, a herd, or a family of monkeys...not sure.

Our hotel last night was a " resort" on the outskirts of Thimpu. Some of the rooms were very nice.mine was not.it was cold and smelly. Good thing we were only there one night. This morning we had a last look around Thimpu and then drove on to Paro.

We then went to what had been described as a "bhutanese hot bath". we drove up to this very old house out in the country. Around back there was an old woman heating up rocks. We were lead into a room with six wooden vessels that looked rather like cow troughs. I wish we had a photo of our faces when we first walked in....but, as with many things here, once you get used to them, things work out just fine. We put on our bathing suits in a teeny, dark room next to the troughs. While we changing, women had put cold water into the troughs, actually they are baths, and then they started to bring in hot stones that had been heated in the fire. We climbed into the bath, which was made of wood, and the water was super heated by the hot stones. The rocks were at one end of the bath, and there was a barrier keeping them away your body parts. The bath was great for me, with short legs. Average Canadians were a little less comfy, I think. Every so often tney brought another stone to heat the water. It was really very relaxing, and really, really hot. Kids have talked of a hot tub for the cottage...this arrangement would be easy...we already have the fire pit. Will attach a photo, though I doubt it will do justice.

We then had a traditional Bhutanese dinner in the old house. Food was very good, though I stayed away from the chillies .. Of course, chillies are in all the dishes, I just did eat them as a separate dish.

Now back at the hotel, and getting ready for the hike tomorrow to Tiger's nest...still very intimidated, but also looking forward to it. Hope I can make it...we have yogat early morning, so most get ready shortly.

I have learnt that the folks here'll e here do not refer to their land as Bhutan. That name is a Sanskrit word meaning high land, or some up such. The term was introduced by the British while they were busy in India. The people call their land Druk Yaul, which means thunder dragon. Loverly, eh? Druk means dragon, and the national air carrier, and sole air carrier flying into the country is Druk Air. So, I flew on dragon air. I like that. We all know that dragons can fly, so no wonder the Druk pilots can land at Paro.

There are also two dragons on the national flag.



Sorry, Internet too slow here, photos won't upload..will send later.















D

Advertisement



28th October 2012

How lovely
Deb - such a lovely story. The Dragon myth sounds so perfect. Your descriptions are so rich - I feel like I am almost there! ( just a few thousand miles from being really there) Val
29th October 2012

Thanks
Val: Thanks. Lovely to hear from you. Now on my way to southern India.
30th October 2012

Dragon Lady
Does that make you the Dragon Lady?
30th October 2012

You bet
30th October 2012

Did you get the email?..

Tot: 0.228s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0428s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb