Trekking in Bhutan


Advertisement
Bhutan's flag
Asia » Bhutan
October 17th 2009
Published: October 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Planned for a 3 days not-too-difficult trek, starting from Phobjika Valley to Wangdue.

My 2 travel mates were most worried about, what to wear and how to go toilet... I was extremely shocked to hear that Mich wore her pyjamas pants beneath her Columbia pants (to keep warm)!! So hilarious... glad she finally decided to take it off before we embark on the journey.

Our entourage was impressive! For just 3 trekkers, we had a guide, Sonam, 1 cook, 1 asst cook, horseman + wife together with their 6 horses!

First day was pretty easy, we walked on road, some trails and some mushy grassland... lovely scenery. We were also treated to fabulous lunch of soggy instant noodles and soft boiled eggs yummy! Arrived at our first campsite well before dusk. Wow! So elaborate! 2 sleeping tents, 1 dining tent, 1 kitchen tent and 1 toilet tent (toilet paper included)! Our tents had carpets and mattress to insulate from the cold. All we needed was just a chandelier for a final touch 😊

Treated to hot tea, coffee, chocolate with sugar butter crackers. Nostalgic, butter cracker never tasted so good before. Dinner was another luxury. We were served soup, rice and dishes. On the second day, we even had papadum, salad and red wine to go with our dinner! This was even better than we had in town, or even back home on busy nights. After dinner, we had the luxury to sit next to the campfire sipping on some beer that was specially prepared by Sonam. All of us just sat around, enjoying the warmth and viewing the stars above us. It's such a peaceful time, with no tv, no electricity, no traffic and no noise...

Toilet visits were a groupie thingy. We always feel safer if we know our frens are jus outside. Sometimes, we'll help to shine our torch in our toilet tent to help facilitate our "businesses". There was once when Ash need to do her big business, Mich & I stoo guard outside, chit-chatting on some hilarious and embarrasing moments on the trek. I laughed so loud that I think the next village could hear me. Of course, Ash, hearing our hilarious conversation, had a very constipated time and almost fell into the "sXXt hole".

Every morning began with bright sunlight shining into our tent and the cook asst bringing us hot morning tea and a basin of hot water for washing up. So pampered. When we got out of the tent, we see breakfast served, al fresco, in the middle of a vast farm land, surrounded by a range of mountains around us. Heavenly!

Though trekking at relatively high altitude sounds a bit daunting in the beginning, but we had such a wonderful time... Felt so tiny in the mountains, felt so pampered by the royal treatment, felt so loved by the dogs that decided to follow us from the first camp site till our destination, felt the warmth of the villagers and school children who flashed us their big smile, felt so touched to see our driver, Namgay, at the destination when our feet were aching like crazy.

Trekking has taken another meaning. Our responsibility was simply to bring ourselves from Point A to Point B. Everything else was well taken care of. I really felt like I was Ashi Sumin 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

DinnerDinner
Dinner

Papadum, salad and red wine
HimalayasHimalayas
Himalayas

View we get along the trek


Tot: 0.541s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 77; dbt: 0.4113s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb