Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder


Advertisement
Bhutan's flag
Asia » Bhutan » Thimphu
October 19th 2009
Published: October 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

While we were changing money currency at the bank, we noticed that one of the tellers had rather dramatic eyes with ultra thick eyeliner.
Mmm.... we were pretty curious on the "standard" of beauty in Bhutan.

Then in Thimphu, we saw Sonam reading a copy of Yeewong. We kaypoh lor, borrowed his copy to browse. The magazine contained pictures of Miss Bhutan 2008 contestants and write-up about them. Being the bimbo us, we screeched and bitched about how these women looked. "My god, look at their eye-liner (they outlined the entire eye with thick black ink)..... Goodness, look at their hair.... Aiyo, make-up so ugly" But Ok, to be fair, they all looked pretty fine in their casual no-make-up look.

We tried to do a simple on-ground survey. "Sonam, Namgay, who is pretty here, who is pretty?"

Our conclusion is, in Bhutan, the thicker your eye liner is, the prettier you are. Guess what we did to ourselves when we were dolling ourselves up for drinks at Uma Paro hahaha....


Afternote:
I found out that Yeewong is Bhutan’s first women magazine which was launched in early Oct 09. Yeewong means appealing to the heart in Dzongkha. The theme of the magazine is “bring her forward” and it provides a wide range of information on women’s health, fashion, lifestyle, entertainment and women-related contemporary issues. The first issue of the magazine covers mostly about Miss Bhutan Beauty pageant 2008. However, the later issues will focus more on various issues related to women, for example domestic violence, women's health etc.

According to Pema, the editor-in-chief, the magazine is expected to appeal to the Bhutanese people. “This magazine is something which Bhutanese women can connect with.” Mmmmm.......... why is our vain guide reading this magazine leh? HAHAHA 😱



Advertisement



Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 15; qc: 72; dbt: 0.0726s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb