Day 342 - Sandals in the Bin


Advertisement
Bhutan's flag
Asia » Bhutan » Thimphu
June 9th 2007
Published: June 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

An early drive back to Paro and we were soon on our way flying to Calcutta, or Kolkata as they now want to be called (a Bombay vs Mumbai thing designed to confuse the world). In England we visit our local curry house once a week or so and are big fans, so it was with much regret that our first visit to India just involved sitting on the plane rather than pigging out. But hours later we were back in Bangkok and after weeks and weeks of often disgusting Asian food, and illness-induced weight loss, we found ourselves as happy as an African asleep under a tree as we tucked into a McDonalds. Not exactly the stuff Jules Verne used to write about but fast food when we get to Bangkok has been a regular topic of conversation for us recently.

Having been in Bangkok before and done all the city sightseeing we wanted to do our 3 nights here are mostly for reacquainting ourselves with Western things: decent bits of meat (ie not head, hoof, bone or fat), the Economist, Starbucks and drunken students.

PS Today’s title is a reference to Elton John’s tribute to Mother Theresa, a lesser known follow-up to his Lady Di song.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.022s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb