Sonargaon in March


Advertisement
Bangladesh's flag
Asia » Bangladesh » Dhaka » Dhaka
April 24th 2009
Published: April 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Blogger: jen

We liked Sonargaon so much the first time we went that we decided to go again.

It’s a nice change to get out of the hustle and bustle and over crowdedness of Dhaka for a little while. We felt like we needed to be somewhere, even just for a few hours, that had a feeling of space, nature, and serenity. So Sonargaon seemed like the place to go.


This time we went in the dry season. We couldn’t believe how different the city looked and felt. The water levels of the ponds and streams were down (or some had even disappeared altogether), the trees seemed less green and buildings appeared a bit dustier and more worn down that just a few months before. The town had a kind of yellowed and sleepy feel to it, adding a different element to its historic charm and beauty. We walked by my favorite doors that we found back in October. Months of sun, dust and dry weather had turned their bright turquoise paint into a dull and barely recognizable shade of brown. We walked through the ruins of some long-ago important building resembling a palace. We went to the folk museum and learned a little bit more about the culture and customs of Bangladesh. We also ambled through the local market and talked with a few university students who were curious about America and our impressions of Bangladesh. When we could no longer walk in the heat and humidity, we climbed back into our car and headed home, but not without first sitting in traffic and watching in awestruck amazement as two buses stubbornly fought for space on a road only wide enough for one. The result was that they scraped up against each other, getting stuck side by side on the road and blocking traffic for almost an hour.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



24th April 2009

Nice place to visit!
Loved the latest blog! Great photos of everyday life and people in a culture so far removed from our own. Amazing! Love the bus story too!! Stick to travel by car, I guess... Love to you both, Auntie Lynda

Tot: 0.356s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0487s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb