The Baku Spring


Advertisement
Azerbaijan's flag
Asia » Azerbaijan » Baku
April 15th 2009
Published: April 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Unfortunately the photos for this entry have been lost due to a technical glitch at Travelblog. I will get around to reloading them soon!



One day it's lovely and sunny, the next it's cold and grey. Everyone says in another month the weather will be stable and the temperatures will keep on climbing until everyone complains it's just too hot. We can't wait!

For now, we make every effort to get out and about in the city whenever we can and our most recent wanderings took us to the Russian Orthodox church. From the outside it's not overly glamorous but inside it was beautiful. The smell of burning incense took us back to Oman!!

Outside it was a beautiful spring day. The flowers are beginning to bloom and the blossom on the trees is starting to play havoc with Russ' hay fever!! We also saw the nearby "friendship" statue to commemorate close relations with Georgia. Can't explain why it's a horse though! The recruitment poster for the Azeri security services was interesting but we had to get a long way away from it to take an inconspicuous photo!

We also decided to try somewhere different for dinner. The Russian Yolki-Palki served up good food and entertainment but also delivered a shock when the bill arrived. They had charged us extra as they decided to give us large portions. There was no Super-Size Me! option on the menu so we argued and won! Thanks to Joe for doing the arguing in Russian.

So now it's back to the UK for a few weeks. Hope to get some nice photo of the English spring.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Friendship with GeorgiaFriendship with Georgia
Friendship with Georgia

Apparently that's what this horse represents.
Mehdi HuseynadaMehdi Huseynada
Mehdi Huseynada

A Russian hero of the second World War
Russian EntertainmentRussian Entertainment
Russian Entertainment

An enjoyable evening until they produced the bill, trying hard to rip us off!
GraffitiGraffiti
Graffiti

But what's it all about?


Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0503s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb