Humanitarian Aid


Advertisement
Afghanistan's flag
Asia » Afghanistan » East » Khost
March 10th 2009
Published: July 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

DonationsDonationsDonations

Coats, shoes, socks, backpacks, school supplies, and anything else we have are separated and categorized in different rooms so we can address one need at a time.
The best part of my deployment here is our humanitarian aid missions. Each week, we take donations sent to us by U.S. citizens, and give them to locals in the area. We also give each person a physical exam and treatment if needed, and give them medications they ordinarily wouldn't be able to receive. Most of the patients are children, and they get excited about the smallest things that I have always taken for granted. Many of them were camera shy, and probably hadn't seen one before. I'm always left wondering what is going to happen to these people. And you will never see any of this on your local news.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

SchoolSchool
School

Educating the youth is a task in itself, so they really need as much as we can give them to meet that end.
Hes warm now!Hes warm now!
Hes warm now!

I don't think he understands the function of a camera.
more clothingmore clothing
more clothing

Its fun dressing them up. Its more enjoyable watching them smile afterwards.
ClothingClothing
Clothing

They never complain about what color or size the gloves are, probably because they have never had any, so we have to make sure they get the right apparell
hathat
hat

I picked out this hat, I hope his buddies don't give him a hard time.
my bossmy boss
my boss

Major Probus having fun with the kids.
HappyHappy
Happy

He doesn't know what we put in his backpack, I think he's just excited to be getting something.
waitingwaiting
waiting

They line up and go into each room to get treatment and clothing etc.
wonderwonder
wonder

He looks baffled by the whole ordeal and all the attention he's getting.
adorableadorable
adorable

Sometimes, you just want to adopt these kids and hate seeing them go away.
getting caregetting care
getting care

waiting for physical exams. This is the one place where we see local girls-old time traditions dont allow females out in public.
happyhappy
happy

She loved her new coat and scarf.
curiouscurious
curious

I wish I knew what he was thinking
Not enough time and resourcesNot enough time and resources
Not enough time and resources

He wanted a soccer ball. Soccer is very popular here, but I couldn't help him on this one.
Getting togetherGetting together
Getting together

After we are done, we go around and shake hands..ok we hug the kids and they get on with their lives...
Medical TeamMedical Team
Medical Team

The medical team here at Clark is in charge of all the humanitarian aid efforts. I wish we could do it every day.


Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb