Crossing Drake Channel


Advertisement
Antarctica
February 25th 2007
Published: March 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We left in the afternoon and headed toward the Drake channel for our two day voyage over arriving around 5 PM at King George Island where the race was to take place. During the trip we had good weather and spent our time attending lectures on wildlife, rules of conduct, history and political issues. Traveling in the Drake Channel can be treacherous but we managed a good 13 knots and only 5 foot swells on the two day trip. Although the drugs made folks drowsy, not many got seasick. The voyage leaving only one week after ours returned could only make 3 knots against high seas. Our host, Dutch, pointed out it isn’t like an amusement park ride, “OK now, I’m ready to get off!” Imagine many days of bouncing in 30 foot seas!

We saw occasional whales, seals and penguins and a few sea birds including an impressive albatross. We impressed the crew with the volume of food marathon runners could eat in carbo loading before a race. A sweet 23-year-old philosophy graduate from Moscow named Sasha took pity on me and so for the rest of the voyage made a point to come over and ask at each meal if I had gotten enough to eat (or maybe she just couldn’t believe how many calories can go into a 115 pound frame.) I think we also impressed the bartender but most were on good behavior, anxious before the race.

The Vavilov had left before us and arrived at King George Island a day earlier to drop a crew to lay out the race course. We sent a zodiac to retrieve them from shore for a warm dinner for which they appeared very, very, grateful to be back on board. That should have been a tip-off but we missed the implication. The organizers described the course as hilly, slushy, muddy, slick, rocky, and challenging. Yep. It was all that and more.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Land ho!Land ho!
Land ho!

The night before the race we see King George Island and the race area


14th March 2007

WOW
Great story! Keep 'em comin'!

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb