Pristine............


Advertisement
Antarctica
December 22nd 2017
Published: December 27th 2017
Edit Blog Post

When one thinks of the continent of Antarctica, many things come to mind. Imposing icebergs, cooooold cold temperatures, brave explorers, comical penguins, and perhaps even spouting whales. And yes, all of these things correctly represent this beautiful place. But for me, at the end of a 14 day adventure to the true “land down under”, I am left with awe and appreciation for the pristine nature... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 57, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Sister ship, Nat Geo OrionSister ship, Nat Geo Orion
Sister ship, Nat Geo Orion

The crew was visibly excited to see the Nat Geo sister ship, Orion, in the distance. A rendezvous was set with zodiacs to exchange goods and warm greetings ensued via the bridge radio.
HumpbacksHumpbacks
Humpbacks

These creatures are so interesting, not only for their huge size, but also for the ridges on their head and belly, the big bumps where whiskers protrude, and the big white fins with scalloped edges. Whale experts can identify whale type from a distance just by recognizing the shape and size of their spouts. Humpbacks have puffy shaped spouts, compared to the tall columns that came out from the fin whales we saw earlier on the expedition.
Brown stationBrown station
Brown station

We kayaked by this British outpost whose only apparent occupants were wearing tuxedos! Right here is where our little penguin friend shot out of the water and onto our kayak.
Young crab eater sealYoung crab eater seal
Young crab eater seal

The golden coat indicates the youthful age of this seal whose diet, contrary to it's name, is primarily krill.
The sound of silenceThe sound of silence
The sound of silence

At this very spot, we sat in a zodiac with no one else in sight, more than a mile from the ship. The 9 of us agreed to participate in 5 minutes of complete silence. No cell phone noises, no motor noises, nothing but the popping sound of entrapped air, perhaps thousands of years old, emerging from the glacial ice and the reverberation of silence echoing in our ears. From this we came away with perhaps the most memorable time of our Antarctic experience.
Antarctic viewAntarctic view
Antarctic view

Another quintessential Antarctic view
PeacePeace
Peace

This day, the sun shone bright, killer whales appeared in the distance, and we later kayaked and hiked amazingly beautiful places.
Top of the food chainTop of the food chain
Top of the food chain

Believe it or not, this scua is the top of the food chain. This clever predator, the Scua, will peck a penguin on its nest until it moves just enough for it to speedily snatch away an egg.
Returning to shipReturning to ship
Returning to ship

I was always on the last zodiac back to the ship. I would linger and linger watching penguins and absorbing the sights and sounds.
Pushing through the tabular ice padsPushing through the tabular ice pads
Pushing through the tabular ice pads

The muffled powerful sound of the ice cracking as we pushed through the Lemaire channel, surrounded by 3000-4000' high mountains on either side made for a spectacular morning cruise.
Coming out of the Lemaire channelComing out of the Lemaire channel
Coming out of the Lemaire channel

The lifeboats and library windows in the foreground. Breathtaking views from every vantage point.
Porpoising penguins!Porpoising penguins!
Porpoising penguins!

They can apparently swim up to 22mph! And when they pop out of the water it's like trying to grab a photo of a firefly lighting out in the backyard.
Booth Island penguin rookerieBooth Island penguin rookerie
Booth Island penguin rookerie

A beautiful hike landed us among several rookeries and expansive Antarctic mountain views.
Left, left, left right left....Left, left, left right left....
Left, left, left right left....

Sometimes they waddle in sync, sometimes perfectly out of sync - always entertaining. Their little tails are termed "brush tail" and it was evident that the tail came in handy in keeping their balance as they waddled along.



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0646s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb