Victoria Falls


Advertisement
Zimbabwe's flag
Africa » Zimbabwe
October 21st 2015
Published: October 22nd 2015
Edit Blog Post

21 October 2015

We had been looking forward to our visit to the Victoria Falls with eager anticipation and they didn’t disappoint. To get there we had to leave the vans at the campsite and by coach enter Zimbabwe after paying the $55US (used as local currency in that country) visa charge. We stayed in the town of Victoria Falls, built to service the tourists visiting the area, in a remarkably opulent modern hotel, The Kingdom.

The Victoria Falls are on the Zambesi River, the fourth largest in Africa, which forms the border between Zimbabwe and Zambia. One million litres of water per second cascade down a 108m drop for a 1.7km width into a gorge. They are seasonal and as this is the dry period only about 50%!o(MISSING)f the width was running. Nevertheless they were still a majestic sight. We viewed them from a path which runs along the opposite side of the gorge.

The daylight hours were rounded off by a gentle cruise on the wide Zambesi just before it reaches the falls.

In 1904 The Victoria Falls Hotel was built in elegant colonial style in a scenic location. In the evening we treated ourselves to a delicious seven course degustation menu with six accompanying wines in the regal setting of the Livingstone Room. The food was imaginative and the service unbelievably attentive and expert. A truly memorable end to a special day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.457s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1964s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb