More Pictures at Harmony Christ's Hope Community School


Advertisement
Zambia's flag
Africa » Zambia » Kitwe
August 9th 2011
Published: August 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Zambia Day 8Zambia Day 8Zambia Day 8

Progress on the washroom
It's been a week now since we left Canada and the adventures continue here in Zambia. We continue to make progress on the washroom and painting in the existing building but it can be quite a slow process. We don't always have all the materials we need so we end up sharing shovels, buckets and one wheel barrow to do the work. We also have to go and get water from the well when we make the concrete mix. There is always a lot to do. I've been working on painting within the building and also tried my skill at shoveling and mixing concrete as well as fetching water from the bins. I can definitely feel the work in my shoulders, back and the blisters on my hands but it is a kind of workout so I'm happy about that! It's great to do this work alongside the team as well as some of the Zambians also. They seem to be hard workers but so different than the way we would do things in Canada.

The kids continue to be a big part of each day. Yesterday we went to a market in the morning since we needed to wait
Zambia Day 8Zambia Day 8Zambia Day 8

The community where the school is. Very primitive homes, kind of like shacks.
for some supplies and for the Zambians to finish up framing something so we could continue our work. It was neat to see the city and buy some of the handmade souvenirs to take back to Canada. We went to the school after lunch and worked until later. It gets dark here early (by 6:00) so we can't work as long as at home. We've had some really great meals here and food we are used to so all of us have had no stomach issues which is great.

Today when we pulled up to the school there were not many children around, but within a few minutes they were running across the field to greet us. It's so great to see their happy faces each day. I know many by name, but there are still so many that I still have to ask them what their names. Most of the kids have common names that we are familiar with, but the way they say them can be very complicated. I had 2 boys ask me for my shoes today...hmm...now what do I do? Breaks my heart! Enjoy the pictures!


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Zambia Day 8Zambia Day 8
Zambia Day 8

Some children from the community and the van that shuttles us around. Unfortunately it's broken down a few times.
Zambia Day 8Zambia Day 8
Zambia Day 8

Some of the beautiful children! They are everywhere! Not always clean, nor do they smell very nice, but you can't help but let them hold your hand, let them hug you or prevent you from holding them.
Zambia Day 8Zambia Day 8
Zambia Day 8

I got some of the children to help me clean up around the washroom and to throw the broken concrete blocks into a garbage whole. They seem so willing to help out!
Zambia Day 8Zambia Day 8
Zambia Day 8

The crowds that follow us around like we are famous! It really makes you feel so important to them!
Zambia Day 8Zambia Day 8
Zambia Day 8

On one of our grocery shopping trips. We pretty much go to the grocery store each day especially to get water...we go through a lot of water!
Zambia Day 8Zambia Day 8
Zambia Day 8

Dennis trying hard to get an internet connection to continue his skype conversation with his wife. It did get better as the days progressed, this was one of the first days here.
Zambia Day 8Zambia Day 8
Zambia Day 8

Getting ready to head to the school. We don't all fit in the van so the back of the truck works well!
Zambia Day 8Zambia Day 8
Zambia Day 8

Pulling up to the school. The roads here are not very good, have lots of pot holes and very windy. This pictures also gives a glimpse into the surrounding area where the school is.
Zambia Day 8Zambia Day 8
Zambia Day 8

More cute children!
Zambia Day 8Zambia Day 8
Zambia Day 8

More children coming for their picture taken. It's very difficult to take just a couple kids picture as they all want to be in it!
Zambia Day 8Zambia Day 8
Zambia Day 8

Mixing concrete. There is no cement mixer here, it's all done by hand. Very hard work!
Zambia Day 8Zambia Day 8
Zambia Day 8

Some of us painting inside one of the larger classroom. (Diana, Kyle and herself)
Zambia Day 8Zambia Day 8
Zambia Day 8

Even some of the kids wanted to help with the trenching.
Zambia Day 8Zambia Day 8
Zambia Day 8

Even I tried my hand at trenching. It was a very good work out.
Zambia Day 8Zambia Day 8
Zambia Day 8

These are 2 of the boys that kind of follow me around each day. Kelly and Jack! They don't really talk to me but always smile!
Zambia Day 8Zambia Day 8
Zambia Day 8

Working with Kyle on the trenching! It's not very common here for women to do this kind of work in Zambia.
Zambia Day 8Zambia Day 8
Zambia Day 8

Some of the children carrying water from the well. The well is right by the school. I'm facinated by them carrying things on their heads.
Zambia Day 8Zambia Day 8
Zambia Day 8

Working on laying bricks inside the washroom. This is Desiree and Ryan.
Zambia Day 8Zambia Day 8
Zambia Day 8

Diana with some of the older boys. They noticed this large picture of stories from the Bible and wanted to see it so Diana talked about it with them.


Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.06s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb