Test


Advertisement
Zambia's flag
Africa » Zambia » Eastern Province » Katete
June 13th 2008
Published: June 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Tikondane is a community centre run for and by the people of Katete. It has a thriving community school and adult education programme and there are various income generating activities such as the garden and skill training initiatives, as well as important community development work, the implementation of which Tikondane has pioneered. Tikondane is a gem for the tourist interested in finding the real Africa outside the usual lodges or hostels.

Tikondane began on the premise of helping local villagers to improve their literacy, which would in turn benefit the individual communities to which they belonged. There are now 30 villages and 4 compounds (townships) within Tikondane's catchment area and the activities carried out have far exceeded the issue of literacy; each has the same goal: Sustainable Betterment.

The School

The opening of the community school Tikondane was almost accidental. The centre was a result of the dream of increasing adult literacy within the Katete District. However some 30 of the children who had attended lessons during the holidays continued to arrive at the start of the new school year - those who were too poor to go to Government schools, which expect uniform, school shoes and donations to the PTA (Parent, Teacher Association).
Photo of Susan Lungu, head teacher

We could not say no, and have since been recognised as a COMMUNITY SCHOOL. We now proudly educate over 300 children between the ages of 10 and 20, with classes from Grades 1-7. As in most community-based schools, the only requirement for the children is that they attend. They are provided with an exercise book and pencil to keep for the duration of their lessons. At a time of greater financial prosperity, TIKO was even able to have bags sewn for the students to carry these items to class. There are no annual fees; neither uniforms nor shoes are required.

Most of the students face difficult living conditions at home, where the struggle for food is constant. Here at school they are able to take a break from the stress that so unfairly burdens them at a young age, and remember what it is like to be a child; to interact with their peers and enjoy the simple pleasures of life.

We were very lucky to be given distributorship of emergency food for all 27 community schools in Katete District, where the children are given
GardenGardenGarden

The garden has always been one of the highlights at Tikondane and remains stunning both aesthetically and gastronomically! They started by planting the African staples of tomatoes, rape and onions, but have since learned to accommodate to more diverse taste buds!
HEPS
(High Energy Protein Supplement) in the form of porridge once a day and the especially poor receive a supplementary bag of maize or sorghum.

This distribution started officially in September 2005 for half a year and was extended for an additional 3 months. Understandably this almost doubled the number of students enrolled. We are now in the midst of discussion for further extensions. This programme is a fantastic exercise in community education.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 4; ; mem: 1.1mb