"ZamTales" (cont)--St. Francis Centre in Ndola


Advertisement
Zambia's flag
Africa » Zambia » Copperbelt » Ndola
June 23rd 2009
Published: June 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Monday -- Left Bonaventure College in Lusaka with the van and Sandy's Red Beast loaded with people/boxes/books/meds/supplies, heading 320km north toward Ndola. Driving north out of Lusaka into the African bush, as it appeared before deforestation removed the grasses and mukwa and mopani trees, through termite mounds, women carrying baskets of guava, charcoal, colorful vegetable stand stops (Stephen will add the story of Anna's first encounter with a Turkish toilet later -- let's just say that it began with a shriek and ended in a change of clothes . . . ). Arrived at Kapiri in time for a wonderful lunch of nshima, chicken, vegetables, fruit salad, and Coke (a treat for the kids). Sang the "Chawama" song to the friars as we presented a box of books and t-shirts for Fr. Phillip, Brother Ryan, Matthews, Fr. Patrick, Fr. Deo, and a special surprise appearance from the former Provincial Fr. Timothy. Walked through the market where the "God Knows Enterprise" and the "Jealous Cafe" were highlights.

Awakening under the 35 (or maybe 69?) LOUD tolls of the church steeple bell at 6a, some of the group stumbled into the church for Mass, immediately realizing that the 'word of the day' had to be RESONANCE. Singing accappella, the choir's harmonies were beyond description (the Voice of God, Matt said). The acoustics which enhance the beauty of the music, however, make it difficult to understand even the familiar prayers ("Was that really the Our Father?"). More tea, oatmeal, toast, and chicory/coffee for breakfast, then off to tour the St. Francis Centre with Fr. Miha. Mission Press is a complex assortment of printing/publishing, audio/video studio recording of Zambian music and such. We toured the vocational classrooms teaching woodworking, tailoring, computer literacy, and 'accountancy', which are provided for lay people and friars alike, in an attempt to promote some sustainable ways of making a living. The friar/kid football match ended in victory for Anna/ Evan/ Artie's team (much to Brother Joseph's dismay). The adults toured the suburbs and 'compounds' during the soccer match, and witnessed again the great disparity in living standards, with concrete block homes surrounded by glass-topped walls on paved roads, right next to thatch-roofed, (well-swept) dirt-floored huts with small charcoal fires burning outside beside the outdoor toilets. And the fenced homes were not common. Meanwhile, the OLP youth met with the Youth Group and learned to do some Zambian-style hip-shaking (Monica was moving so fast we couldn't even get a picture of her).

Advertisement



24th June 2009

Hi from Jackie
Hi to the Wickham's, sounds like you are having a wonderful time. Nice picture of Artie learning the new dance, you'll have to teach it to me when you get home. Congrats on winning the football match. All is well here in OH. Mom and Dad say Hi. Love reading the blogs! Talk to you soon. Love Jacks
24th June 2009

Thinking of you all!
Loved one of the last pictures of Matt doing hacky-sack...as if it wasnt a surprize! :-) Good to see that Artie and Andy are in pix sothat we can pick them out as well as Matt and ME! Thinking of you all!
25th June 2009

Glad you are dancing!
So glad to hear of your appreciation of the choir and the dancing, and of course Turkish style toilets. Sure do miss you here - it pours every day and everything is green like the south! Enjoy being without internet!
27th June 2009

Great Stuff
Following your progress - geographic and spiritual - with great interest. Matt, I look forward to more thoughts on the music when you return. Stay well. Mark

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0602s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb