Time to rest


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Western Region » Nkuringo
December 9th 2013
Published: December 9th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Steve and are are now having a few well earned days rest before we greet our new team member Ann who will arrive from Kampala on Sunday evening along with our team leader, Simon, and our trusty driver Columbus.



It has been quite a week. The Sunday night and Monday felt very strange and quiet here without the rest of the group. Instead of eating in the main hall the staff had set us a table in the reception area for our meals. We still make a pilgrimage to the groups usual table (can't break with tradition) and have the endless tea on tap and drink many cups throughout the day.



As the week progressed we have settled into a nice routine. No early mornings this week. Breakfast at a very respectable 9.00. Cornflakes, boiled eggs, toast (if electric allows) pineapple, honey and the obligatory tea! After breakfast we would do our washing and then settle down with books and newspapers (a great way to get an insight into the country). Sue had told us of two places in town to eat. We decided to try The Rukungiri Inn. For those in the know, just past Sena supermarket on the right on top of the hill. Our first visit on the Tuesday was amusing. As we walked through the town we were the topic of conversation, stares and the odd hello muzungu. As yet we haven't seen another muzungu in town this week! We took a table with a panoramic view of the town below and the hills, fields and small houses dotted in the distance. The quietly spoken waiter came to take our order. We ordered from the menu and within a short while the waiter returned as they didn't have some ingredients. This isn't the last you will here of this lovely young waiter! We re-ordered several times and eventually managed to find something they had. Sue had told us not to expect food until a good hour after ordering. We settled back to read the paper and gaze at the view. It didn't bother us a jot. We have completely settled into African time. When it did come we enjoyed out sandwich, vegetable samosas and a surprise accompaniment of chips with Heinz tomatoe ketchup washed down with Ugandan tea (chai).



In the afternoons (dependant on rain) we always try to go for a walk if we haven't been out for lunch or into town to get provisions. The limited diet here is starting to become quite monotonous. We are both craving fruit and veg! We still have a further two weeks of it. On the other hand we have talked about how all that we are experiencing, intermittent water, electricity and limited variety of food is teaching us valuable lessons about how we at home take all these things for granted. The poorest people here NEVER have running, relatively clean water, electricity, light and variety of food even to the degree we are having here at Rondavels. This for us is for a very short period.



Dinner is 6.30. It gets dark here around 7.00 very quickly. So after dinner it's back to the room with music, a very rough little Spanish red wine called Penasol (I know, good name) books, games on the ipad. We have been using our brains a lot without TV and don't miss it although we are wondering what's happening in Strictly!



On Wednesday we decided to try the other recommended eatery in town, The Heritage Inn. Opposite direction. Again perched on a hill with amazing views. On the way there we were again an amusement to the locals. We have started to get used to being stared at everywhere we walk. The men sitting in rows on there boda bodas (motorcycle taxis) much like groups of men anywhere watching with a slight arrogance as we pass and comments tossed after us that we don't understand. Again we enjoyed the change of scenery and diet and watched the now quite regular afternoon storm in the distance as it completely shrouded the mountains. Our behaviour when it rains is also amusing to the locals. They will take shelter and wait before venturing out again. We muzungus don our waterproof ponchos, put up our umbrellas and carry on to their distinct amusement!



We were thrilled when late on Thursday morning we had a gentleman caller at Rondavels. Our lovely driver Columbus back from Kampala, a week off from driving, he has been catching up with jobs at home. That morning planting tomatoes. Some for the family and the rest for sale along with other produce he grows on his land. We had a lovely chat with him. Learning a little more about his family and the Ugandan traditions in the home. He is obviously a very caring family man and everything he does is for his family. We found out about another string to his bow. He is the chairman of the local referees association. We don't know how he has the time. He obviously loves football.



Another walk out for lunch to The Rukungiri Inn. We were greeted with smiles and handshakes from the young waiter we had met on the Tuesday as if we were long lost friends. After we had ordered he came over and said "you haven't been here for a few days, did you get lost". This is how you are greeted if you haven't seen this person for a while.This opened up a very interesting conversation with him. His name is Tabaro Abaho. He was very interested when we told him we were here working for Mission Direct. He said he himself is very grateful for the fact that muzungus are willing to raise money and keep coming back here with aid and help for the people. He himself has been sponsored as a young child by a lady called Susan Lyndon from the US who he has never met but who has paid for him to have an education and also sent regular parcels and letters to him. Steve and I have been thinking what we would like to do as a more long term contribution for the many orphans that there are and sponsorship is an option we have thought about investigating. Speaking to this lovely, articulate young man who is so grateful was both moving and heart warming. The heavens then opened as usual for the time of day and as we paid and were leaving we looked for him to say goodbye but couldn't see him. We had just got to the bottom of the drive when he came running out after as to shake us by the hands and say he hoped we would see him again. We have promised we will be back for lunch on Sunday.



On the way back to Rondavels we popped into Rugarama to introduce Steve to Patrick who he was pleased to meet. Obviously thought he was very lucky to have me as his wife. I assured him once again that his long awaited forceps would be with him next week.



This week we have had a chance to see a little more of the community and the people. The only problem with the weeks with Mission Direct is that the days are programmed every minute of the day and there isn't a chance to do the things we've done this week which has been so nice.



And so the days pass by with our little routine. Saturday. Two more rest days before starting work again. Simon and the new arrival Ann will be here tomorrow evening. We have electricity this morning but no running water at all. So no showering or washing until later hopefully. One book finished for me but plenty more on my kindle. We are told there is a Trade Fair at the stadium this week. Something we may investigate. Weather dependant!



Sunday arrives with beautiful sunshine. A lovely morning following not such a lovely night. We haven't mentioned up to now how much the Ugandans like to party? Well they certainly did yesterday. At the community church just down the hill from where we are staying. Started lunchtime yesterday with a lot of hooting car horns so we think a wedding. Ended sometime in the early hours. Then joy of joys an early morning church service started three hours later at 6.00 am just as loudly and finished just as we got up at 8.30. Steve and I lay tossing and turning still able to hear the preaching with ear plugs and our heads squeezed into the pillow. But to make up for it we have both electricity and water this morning so hot showers all round!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0771s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb