The Pearl of Africa


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Western Region » Fort Portal
August 30th 2006
Published: August 31st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Well my friends the time has come - our final travel blog. You'll probably be reading this as we arrive back home in London and we'll soon be in touch to arrange a drink or 2. We can't wait to see everyone again.

Our last adventure was in Uganda, which began with tracking gorillas in Bwindi Forest and ended at a village near Fort Portal working with the community.

First to the gorillas. The journey from Kampala was a long and bumpy route but made unforgettable by the lush scenery and hordes of children waving, smiling and shouting "How are yoooooou".

The trek itself, to see the family of 12 apes, took 2 hours of huff and puff through dense forest but when we eventually found them it was an overwhelming moment. The playful babies rolled and jumped around just a metre in front of us while the adult members, including the almighty silverback, hung in the background growling if we ever got too close. The highlight of the hour we spent watching was the final moments when the head gorilla sat chewing on bamboo less than a few feet away. An unforgettable experience and a privilege to see some of the remaining 700 gorillas left in the world.

Onwards and upwards to Kitijo Tourist Home, run by the lovely Ezra, Marjorie and family. The place was set beautifully against the Rwenzori mountains, the Crater Lakes and many tea and banana plantations.

The main reason for our visit was to learn about the KIDA commumity project set up by Ezra & Marjorie. The vision of the program is to educate, support and counsel families affected by AIDS. They also conduct positive living seminars and encourage enpowerment through teaching vocational skills such as carpentry and sewing.

As well as the warm hospitality shown by our hosts it was an honour to meet the locals and see just how much their lives have been improved by the work of KIDA. Despite many desperate situations we were always welcomed into their homes with open arms.

There were many highlights to the week - such as a local football match, helping to lay foundations at the KIDA centre and visiting the beekeeping groups - but our favourite day was being able to treat
some of the orphaned children to a day out on one of the Crater Lakes
Building BricksBuilding BricksBuilding Bricks

Laying the Foundations for Phase II of the KIDA Community Centre
to play games and enjoy the views.

We send our thanks to Ezra, his wonderful family, all the volenteers at KIDA and all members of the community who made this the most memorable week of our trip. We can't wait to return!!

A final thank-you to our dedicated readers, we can't believe that the six months is up already but have no fear the 5 hour talk and slideshow presentation will be winging its way to you very soon!! Thanks for watching and thanks for keeping us going with your witty comments and messages.

Lots of love Anna & Nate - can't wait to see you all!!!!!
XXXXXXXXXXXX





Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Womens Bee-Keepers GroupWomens Bee-Keepers Group
Womens Bee-Keepers Group

The Bee-Keeping Program has helped to empower the local community
Kitojo Allstars v Barefoot BucaneersKitojo Allstars v Barefoot Bucaneers
Kitojo Allstars v Barefoot Bucaneers

The game finished 3-3 thanks to a late penalty from Mzungo (white man)
What You Lookin At?What You Lookin At?
What You Lookin At?

It's Goodnight from Him and Goodnight from Us.


Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0499s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb