1st March in Jinja


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Eastern Region » Jinja
March 5th 2010
Published: March 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Monday 1st March
Another early start, up at 7.30am for breakfast and pitch side for 9.00am. We started coaching a very respectable 24 and by 11.00am we had a wonderful number of 220 enthusiastic children, all willing and ready to play, good times. Batting, bowling and fielding were all undertaken, with catch- phrases such as “catches win matches and cricket is the winner”.
The session finished about 1.00pm where we headed back to our accommodation to gather our stuff as we were off to tour one of the Soft power education schools, Nakanyonyi Primary, that Sharon had organised for us to see. It was a wonderful experience, which allowed us to see the great work that has been undertaken by the organisation. One of the classes we saw was packed with 128 children, while two class rooms opposite each had 140 students. The whole school role was 2090 children. No wonder Sharon and her team had prioritised new building and refurbishment. The teacher’s staff room was a small open roundel at the front of the school. However the greeting we had from the students showed how disciplined and welcoming everyone was.
On the road again, we were back on the bus for a quick three hour journey to Mbale in the east of Uganda. We were welcomed by a torrential rain storm but spirits weren’t dampened when we heard the accommodation had a pool!! Time to settle in and then we were off to dinner to meet and greet the District games and sports officer, Abraham Khauka. After a briefing at dinner for the next few days schedule, we were feed and watered and back to the hotel. A long but wonderful day was had.
Clare Green

STOP PRESS

Following the heavy rains that have fallen in the area, Wednesday’s papers reported news of a landslide on Monday at about 7.30 pm. It hit the Bududa district which is on the slopes of Mount Elgon less than 10kms from our hotel. Mount Elgon dominates the landscape, and we see it from the hotel window reminding us of Table Mountain. Three villages have been affected with 80 people confirmed dead and another 350 or so missing including 100 children who could not get back from school because the river was too swollen and had taken shelter at a health centre at Nametsi Village before it was engulfed by a 200 metre wide wall of mud and rocks.
Our hotel has had armed soldiers patrolling the corridors as it hosts an army General who is co-ordinating one part of the rescue attempt. The hotel is also full of UN workers and officials and the Red Cross. It has certainly had a sobering effect on team here.
Mike Reeves




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0288s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb